Owen Wister, friend of TR

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12 6:14 AM
      Here -
      http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/AHC/hh/2002fall/2002fall1-4.pdf
      - is the link for a PDF file containing a talk that
      one of my RI neighbors, John W. Stokes, gave recently
      concerning his grandfather, the novelist Owen Wister
      (author of THE VIRGINIAN and great friend of Theodore
      Roosevelt, with whom he attended Harvard.)

      Wister's house in Saunderstown, RI - where, as Johnny
      notes, TR as president dropped in unannounced in 1907,
      to a surprising reception from an unimpressed
      youngster - is the house that Johnny now owns.
      Saunderstown and Wickford (where I live) are adjacent
      villages in the southern end of the town of North
      Kingstown, RI.

      Johnny gave this talk at the recent Owen Wister
      conference held at the American Heritage
      Center,University of Wyoming.

      All best,
      Ed Renehan

      =====
      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
      erenehan@...
      http://renehan.net

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Wynn Capt Gregory A
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12 6:28 AM
        ---Interesting anecdote regarding Owen Wister and his book on TR and their
        friendship "The Story of A Friendship". The rare first printing had a
        section in it that Edith objected to regarding TR's use of profanity
        regarding Wilson (if I remember correctly)....it was subsequently removed in
        later printings and second issuance of first edition! It is, incidentally,
        a great book. But, Edith's favority biography of TR, to my understanding
        was Lewis Einstein's, I believe entitled, "Roosevelt: His Mind in Action"
        or something along those lines.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12 12:38 PM
          It was John J.Leary's TALKS WITH TR that was expurgated of TR swearing about
          Wilson.
          John Gable
          > ---Interesting anecdote regarding Owen Wister and his book on TR and their
          > friendship "The Story of A Friendship". The rare first printing had a
          > section in it that Edith objected to regarding TR's use of profanity
          > regarding Wilson (if I remember correctly)....it was subsequently removed
          in
          > later printings and second issuance of first edition! It is,
          incidentally,
          > a great book. But, Edith's favority biography of TR, to my understanding
          > was Lewis Einstein's, I believe entitled, "Roosevelt: His Mind in Action"
          > or something along those lines.

        • Jeremy Johnston
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12 3:02 PM
            Message

            Great Article!  It is also nice to see my Alma Mater referenced in the TR discussion group.  GO COWBOYS!

            During my time and University of Wyoming I had the great fortune to work in the American Heritage Center as an intern.  I have seen the Wister journals referenced in the article...and they are a fascinating portrayal of early Wyoming.   Needless to say, Owen Wister and The Virginian are still very popular here in the Cowboy State.

            I also wanted to point out that the Penguin Press edition of The Virginian, which Wister dedicated to TR, contains a number of editorial notes discussing the history of America's first western novel.  One of the notes includes the full text of a  gruesome scene, where an individual gouges the eye of his horse out during a fit of rage, that Wister removed upon TR's recommendation.

            Sincerely,

            Jeremy Johnston

[...]

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/