RE: [tr-m] Fw: Newsletter - Member Edition

  • Wynn Capt Gregory A
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
      ---The writer was wrong in the commentary. We fought the SPANIARDS not the
      Cubans. The Spanish American War was fought in order to "liberate" Cuba and
      the Cubans from Spanish rule. The story of "Cuba Libre" is a whole other
      issue---which TR supported an independent Cuba and granted it while
      President.

      ---The Spanish DID have superior weaponry, for the most part. For example,
      smokeless cartridges and Mauser rifles.

      ---TR did narrowly escape death. A few of his officers (Bucky O'Neil for
      example) were shot doing the same thing TR was---rallying the troops. There
      was withering gunfire, one Civil War veteran officer present at the battle
      wrote that it was more dangerous and more perilous gunfire than from any
      engagement in the Civil War that he had been at.

      Regards, Greg Wynn

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2002
        Thank you so much for the information. Yes, now that you mention it, I do recall
        that the fellow on the radio mentioned the Spanish American war at the time he
        was telling of the close call Roosevelt had there in Cuba. Trying to drive carefully
        and listen carefully at the same time is pretty tricky. There sure is a lot to learn ~
        thanks for your help and here's to a safe and happy and prosperous (in all ways)
        new year to you and to all.

        Sherry