Fw: Newsletter - Member Edition

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2002
      Newsletter - Member Edition

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: TRA
      Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 12:23 PM
      Subject: Fw: Newsletter - Member Edition

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 11:23 AM
      Subject: Newsletter - Member Edition

      John,
      Email me if you are satisfied and I will send the Newsletter out on Monday.

      Newsletter - Member Edition

      Saturday, December 21, 2002 Member Edition   VOLUME 1 ISSUE 3

      John Gable
      TRA Executive Director

      TRA Website

      DATE AND TIME CHANGES FOR TR: AN AMERICAN LION   DOCUMENTARY IN JANUARY 2003

               The viewing dates and time for The History Channel's upcoming documentary,TR: An American Lion, have been changed since our last mailing to you on the subject. The new dates and times are:

      MONDAY, JANUARY  20,  2003 at  9:00 PM   (ET)
      TUESDAY,  JANUARY 21, 2003 at  9:00 PM   (ET)

          Check your local listings to confirm

                                                       ************************
       Four Hour Documentary Features Richard Dreyfuss as Voice of  TR, Edmund Morris,  Karl Rove, former President Bill Clinton,  Governor  George Pataki, Doug Brinkley,  Tweed Roosevelt, John Gable, H.W. Brands, and Others

             TR: An American Lion, a dynamic and epic new four-hour documentary on the life of Theodore Roosevelt, will be seen on The History Channel on two successive evenings in January, Monday, January 20 and Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 9:00 PM  (ET). The film is directed by David de Vries and produced by Greystone, and features interviews with historians such as H.W. Brands, Douglas Brinkley, John Milton Cooper, James MacGregor Burns, Sylvia Morris, John Allen Gable, Susan Dunn, Kathleen Dalton, and Edmund Morris, as well as appearances by diverse public figures, united in their admiration for TR: President Bush's assistant, Karl Rove, former President William J. Clinton, and New York's Governor George Pataki.  American Lion also shows interviews with two of TR's granddaughters,  Edith Derby Williams and Nancy Roosevelt Jackson; and two of the President's great grandsons, Tweed Roosevelt and Theodore Roosevelt, IV.

                                              Dreyfuss and Hermann

            The distinguished actor Edward Hermann is the narrator of  TR: An American Lion, and Richard Dreyfuss, the star of  Jaws and numerous other films, is the voice of Theodore Roosevelt.  Historic film footage-- some of it never seen before-- and historic photographs are used in conjunction with some reenacted scenes from TR's life.  American Lion includes no less than five TR reenactors, portraying Roosevelt at different stages of his life. The TR reenactors include Jonathan Roosevelt, Jr.,  a great-great grandson of TR, and well-known TR impersonator James Foote, who has appeared all over the nation in recent years. Scenes for the documentary were filmed in TR Birthplace in New York City, the New York State Capitol in Albany, the Badlands of North Dakota, Sagamore Hill at Oyster Bay, Long Island, and elsewhere. Some of the historic film footage discovered by director David de Vries, and not previously known to exist, shows First Lady Edith Kermit Roosevelt.

            American Lion promises to be the most complete documentary ever done on TR's life.

             John Allen Gable, Executive Director of the Theodore Roosevelt Association (TRA), was the historical consultant for American Lion. The single most important source for historic film in the documentary is the distinguished Theodore Roosevelt Association Film Collection in the Library of Congress, Washington, which contains over 20 hours of film. The collection was assembled by the TRA in the 1920s and 1930s, and then donated to the Library of Congress in the 1960s. For years the collection was of little use because the technology was lacking to speed-correct and clean up the old footage; but since the 1980s the collection has become a treasure chest for film makers from all over the world. The main source for historic photographs was the great Theodore Roosevelt Collection at Harvard, which was donated to TR's alma mater, Harvard, in 1943; and which includes over 10,000 photographs and about 5,000 historic cartoons, as well as manuscripts, letters, books, magazines, artifacts, and other materials. "It is hard to see how a decent documentary could be made without the collections the TRA gave to Harvard and the Library of Congress,"  says John Allen Gable. " As it is, the material is so extensive in both collections that there is much that has never been seen since it was assembled 80 years ago.  Thomas A. Edison personally donated films to the collection now in the Library of Congress, and the Roosevelt family has been very generous over the years in giving family correspondence to the TR Collection at Harvard."

            A preview of  TR: An American Lion was shown by director David de  Vries
       at the TRA conference in Buffalo, NY in October.  Those present seemed enthusiastic about the documentary.

         TRA Members: Please spread the word about TR: An American Lion !

           Be sure to check your local listings as times and dates may vary from region to region.

      [PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION]

      If you prefer a different e-mail address than the one used, enter your preferred e-mail address in the box below. You may opt out of receiving this newsletter by clicking on the remove button:

      Add Remove
      Send as HTML

      Copyright © 2002 Theodore Roosevelt Association. All rights reserved.
      Powered by iMakeNews.com
      This email was sent to: tra@...
      (REMOVE) - to be excluded from this list and/or future mailings.
      (CHANGE FORMAT) - receive future messages in plain text format.
      (UPDATE) your subscriber information and preferences.

    • KDalt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
        I don't know if TRA members want to reply to this anti-TR editorial:

        http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeser/cst-edt-roes21.html

        Kathleen Dalton
      • KDalt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
          Next weekend Book-TV will feature a discussion of TR--on C-SPAN2

          Jan. 4--8 P.M.
          Jan. 5 --11 P.M.

          See
          http://www.booktv.org/PublicLives/index.asp?segID=3185&schedID=168

          Cheers,

          Kathleen Dalton
        • Michael Cawelti
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
            I find this article is, even to an ametuer student of TR, an offensive
            revision of history through non contextual quotes.

            To me, the worst apprasial of history, is in the taking facts out of context
            and judging older times through modern prejudices and mores. While he made
            such statements as these, he also was the first President to invite a black
            man to the White House. Dispite detrimental comments on some black
            cavalrymen in Cuba, he also was an admirer of the 9th and 10th cavelry. His
            views on race were quite progressive for his time.

            I know TR was not a perfect man, but there is hardly a better role model
            for current politicians than TR.

            This article is sensational "clap-trap". Sorry, it got my dander up!

            I am sure there are many in the group who can better answer this editorial
            than I, and I would like to hear of any letters to the editor of the
            Sun-Times which get sent.

            Michael Cawelti

            KDalt@... wrote:

            > I don't know if TRA members want to reply to this anti-TR editorial:
            >
            > http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeser/cst-edt-roes21.html
            >
            > Kathleen Dalton

          • Wynn Capt Gregory A
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
              All, Good Morning:

              This type of thing surfaces from time to time. And, for that
              matter, many of the founding fathers are often similarly attacked with such
              parochial and close-minded, one-sided arguments. I responded to a very
              similar commentary in the Boston Globe some months ago. The fact of the
              matter is that, as Ms. Dalton's and Mr. Morris' studies clearly articulate,
              TR grew and evolved as we all do with age and experience. Simply put, he
              held some of the common beliefs on race and gender as many of his
              background, education, and class. While egregious by our standards, not
              necessarily atypical for those times.

              The commentary in the Globe was more carefully constructed and
              warranted a rebuttal. This particular commentary is not well-written,
              poorly researched, and deserves either ignoring or a written, eviscerating
              response. Not only is it unfair to TR but a false historical
              characterization of the type that is too frequent. Did anyone notice George
              Will's column last week, "Restoring Literacy About History"? Well worth a
              read.

              In the final analysis, TR's record on race and human rights in
              general certainly has blemishes but his achievements---personally and
              professionally as a public servant---can withstand scrutiny and clearly
              places him in the few progressive minds of his time regarding such matters,
              even despite some of his writings and comments (one of which in this
              particular editorial I know is completely out of context).

              Regards to all and Happy New Year---Cheers, Greg Wynn

            • sherryj@u.arizona.edu
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
                I don't know how factual the story I heard yesterday on the radio is, but while
                driving around doing errands, I heard a piece on Mr. Roosevelt regarding three
                times he escaped death. Being in and out of the car, I was unable to hear the
                whole story.

                The story-teller spoke of the "charge" in Cuba and told how Roosevelt's horseless
                cavalry army was being shot at from the hilltops by Cubans with modern German
                guns and that the American weapons were outdated. He had to really encourage
                the soldiers to head up the hill. It was mentioned that two men were shot dead
                right in front of Roosevelt at separate times. That all doesn't sound like the story
                published in the Chicago newspaper. I stopped reading the article at that very
                early point so I don't know anything about the rest of that nutty story, but the first
                part sounded almost fictional so I believe the writer's Cuban story was not
                accurate even though, as I first stated, I don't know how factual the radio story
                about the superiority of the Cuban fighters is. Still, I think that writer was trying to
                prove something - lol.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
                  ---The writer was wrong in the commentary. We fought the SPANIARDS not the
                  Cubans. The Spanish American War was fought in order to "liberate" Cuba and
                  the Cubans from Spanish rule. The story of "Cuba Libre" is a whole other
                  issue---which TR supported an independent Cuba and granted it while
                  President.

                  ---The Spanish DID have superior weaponry, for the most part. For example,
                  smokeless cartridges and Mauser rifles.

                  ---TR did narrowly escape death. A few of his officers (Bucky O'Neil for
                  example) were shot doing the same thing TR was---rallying the troops. There
                  was withering gunfire, one Civil War veteran officer present at the battle
                  wrote that it was more dangerous and more perilous gunfire than from any
                  engagement in the Civil War that he had been at.

                  Regards, Greg Wynn

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2002
                    Thank you so much for the information. Yes, now that you mention it, I do recall
                    that the fellow on the radio mentioned the Spanish American war at the time he
                    was telling of the close call Roosevelt had there in Cuba. Trying to drive carefully
                    and listen carefully at the same time is pretty tricky. There sure is a lot to learn ~
                    thanks for your help and here's to a safe and happy and prosperous (in all ways)
                    new year to you and to all.

                    Sherry