Recommended: "Thanksgiving Day Proclamation"

  • erenehan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2002
      erenehan@... has recommended this article from
      The Christian Science Monitor's electronic edition.

      President Bush's Thanksgiving proclamation for 2002 harkens back to TR's Thanksgiving proclamation 100 years ago. Here is the text.

      Happy Thanksgiving one and all.

      - Ed Renehan

      -- ADVERTISEMENT --
      ORVIS: Save up to 70% at Orvis.com.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000000418179

      Click here to email this story to a friend:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2002/1125/p08s03-usgn.txt

      Click here to read this story online:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1125/p08s03-usgn.html

      Headline: Thanksgiving Day Proclamation
      Byline:
      Date: 11/25/2002

      Thanksgiving Day 2002

      By the President of the United States of America

      In celebration of Thanksgiving Day 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt
      wrote, "Rarely has any people enjoyed greater prosperity than we are
      now enjoying. For this we render heartfelt and solemn thanks to the
      Giver of Good; and we seek to praise Him - not by words only - but by
      deeds, by the way in which we do our duty to ourselves and to our
      fellow men." President Roosevelt's words gracefully remind us that, as
      citizens of this great Nation, we have much for which to be thankful;
      and his timeless call inspires us to meet our responsibilities to help
      those in need and to promote greater understanding at home and abroad.

      As the Pilgrims did almost four centuries ago, we gratefully give
      thanks this year for the beauty, abundance, and opportunity this great
      land offers. We also thank God for the blessings of freedom and
      prosperity; and, with gratitude and humility, we acknowledge the
      importance of faith in our lives.

      Throughout the Thanksgiving holiday, let us renew our commitment to
      make our country and our world better. As we welcome new opportunities
      and face new challenges, we are thankful for the resolve and generosity
      of so many of our people who are touching countless hearts and souls
      through thoughtful acts of kindness. By answering the call to serve
      others, Americans are building a culture of service that strengthens
      our Nation. We also honor and salute the selfless sacrifice of the
      brave men and women of our Armed Forces who are defending our lives and
      liberty at home and abroad with skill, honor, and dedication.

      This Thanksgiving, we recognize the ties of friendship and respect that
      bind us together. And we renew our pledge to uphold the timeless
      principles of freedom, equality, and opportunity that have made our
      country into a great Nation. By working together, we will continue to
      build mutual trust, peace, and hope for all across this land and around
      the world.

      Now, therefore, I George W. Bush, President of the United States of
      America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution
      and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Thursday, November
      28, 2002, as a National Day of Thanksgiving. I encourage Americans to
      gather in their homes, places of worship, and community centers to
      share the spirit of understanding and unity, and of prayer, as we
      express our thanks for the many blessings we enjoy. I also encourage
      Americans to reach out in friendship to the larger family of humankind.

      In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-first day
      of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand two, and of the
      Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and
      twenty-seventh.

      - George W. Bush

      (c) Copyright 2002 The Christian Science Monitor. All rights reserved.

      Click here to email this story to a friend:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2002/1125/p08s03-usgn.txt

      The Christian Science Monitor-- an independent daily newspaper providing context and clarity on national and international news, peoples and cultures, and social trends. Online at http://www.csmonitor.com

      Click here to order a free sample copy of the print edition of the Monitor:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/aboutus/sample_issue.html

      -- ADVERTISEMENT --

      SCS Insurance - since 1975. Providing Long Term Care Insurance, Medicare Supplement Insurance plans,
      SCS Care insurance for Christian Scientists, Life insurance and more...call 1 (800) 631-7980 for no fee, no
      obligation information or click the link below to email us.

      scsins@...