[tr-m] No Subject

  • Peggy Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
      I am a great TR fan from a family of TR fans.  I am also an artist and have a commission for a portrait of TR smiling. I don't want the older TR.  (In the famous one in his white suit at Sagamore Hill--the one on the cover of a recent bio, TR is too old in the face).  Anybody know a good photograph I could use or where I could search for one?  I have already looked in all the popular biographies?  (I need his eyes to show--so often they are lost in the shadows of his specs.)  Thank you for your ideas.  Peggy Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
        Dear Peggy,

        You could check with the curator of the Theodore Roosevelt Collection at Harvard University, Wallace F. Dailey - (617) 495-2449.  The TRA gave Harvard over 10,000 photographs of TR taken over the years.  If you can't find a photo to suit your specifications there, I don't know where you can...

        Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

        Linda Milano
        Assistant Director                  TRA@...
        Theodore Roosevelt Association      (516) 921-6319
        P.O. Box 719                        FAX: (516) 921-6481
        Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719           www.theodoreroosevelt.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
          There is a portrait of T.R. in the National Portrait Gallery I think, that I
          have printed off. It whows very intense, alive eyes behind the glasses. It
          is not a photo. It was painted around the end of his presidency. He does
          not look at all old. He is seated, looking straight at the artist. I think
          I discovered it while looking thru the exhibit Theodore Roosevelt Icon of
          the American Century. (using the internet.) I made a copy of this for my
          sister, who is an artist, to draw for me.

          On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:16:14 -0800, Peggy Jackson wrote:

          > I am a great TR fan from a family of TR fans. I am also an artist and
          have=
          > a commission for a portrait of TR smiling. I don't want the older TR.
          (In=
          > the famous one in his white suit at Sagamore Hill--the one on the cover
          of=
          > a recent bio, TR is too old in the face). Anybody know a good photograph
          =
          > I could use or where I could search for one? I have already looked in all
          =
          > the popular biographies? (I need his eyes to show--so often they are lost
          =
          > in the shadows of his specs.) Thank you for your ideas. Peggy
          Jackson=0A=

          =0A=0A---------------------------------------------------------------------=

          Network=0Ahttp://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1709=

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
            The portrait of TR you're referencing is the one by John Singer Sargent.
            The original hangs in the White House. The National Portrait Gallery was
            allowed to borrow it (and also TR's Nobel Peace Prize Medal, which is also
            housed at the White House) while the "Icon" exhibit was in Washington.
            Neither piece, however, was allowed to travel with the exhibit.

            The remaining schedule for "Theodore Roosevelt: Icon of the American
            Century" is as follows:

            December 18, 1999 - March 19, 2000
            Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society
            Buffalo, New York

            April 28 - July 9, 2000
            New York State Museum
            Cultural Education Center
            Empire State Plaza
            Albany, New York

            Even without the portrait and the medal, the exhibit is well worth visiting.