[tr-m] Presidential Letterhead

  • Frank Murphy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
      hi!

      I am researching what a leeter from TR would have looked like!! Did
      it have a White House Emblem on top? A Seal? ...and also the envelope
      it would have been sent in...would that have had a seal of some sort??

      Thanks in advnce
    • Mary Beth Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2000
        I have a book called Ranching with Roosevelt. There is a photocopy of a
        letter from TR on page 341. It looks like this:

        THE WHITE HOUSE
        WASHINGTON

        February 21, 1909

        My dear Lang:
        I wish I could do as you propose, but I simply have not the power. We
        cannot make game preserves save in a rather round about way and under wholly
        exeptional conditiontions. [wholly is crossed out-wrong spelling and he
        corrected it in heavy black ink himself] All I can do is to refer your
        letter to Hart Merriam, the head of the biological Survay, to see if there
        is by any chance some way of bringing about what you desire, (black
        squiqqle over a typo) which has not occurred to me.
        It was good to hear from you.
        Faithfully yours,
        Theodore Roosevelt

        Mr. Lincoln A. Lang,
        yule,
        Billings County, N. Dak.
        it is on a plain sheet of paper except that the words THE WHITE HOUSE
        WASHINGTON are printed in bold on the top left side. WASHINGTON under THE
        WHITE HOUSE. under the E in WHITE.
        Hope this helps.

        Visit http://freeworld.excite.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2000
          TR did not have the Great Seal of the United States on his presidential
          letterhead...

          Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

          Linda Milano
          Assistant Director TRA@...
          Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
          P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
          Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org