John Burroughs's CAMPING WITH PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2002
      Subscribers to this list may be interested in reading
      John Burroughs's article from the May 1906 Atlantic
      Monthly entitled "Camping with President Roosevelt."
      This item was subsequently republished as part of a
      short book by JB, focusing on TR.

      http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/06may/burroughs.htm

      All best,
      Ed Renehan

      =====
      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
      http://renehan.net
      erenehan@...

      Yahoo! - We Remember
      http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
    • Vince Liberto
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
        I am indeed grateful to Ed for calling our
        attention to the Burrough's article.
        For me, it shed new light on the TR persona.
        In the article: " I saw the President,
        accompanied by one of the teamsters, walking
        hurriedly toward the barn to pay his last
        respects to the body of Marvin. After we had
        returned to Mammoth Hot Springs, he made
        inquiries for the young woman to whom he had been
        told that Marvin was engaged to be married. He
        looked her up, and sat a long time with her in
        her home, offering his sympathy, and speaking
        words of consolation. The act shows the depth and
        breadth of his humanity."

        This causes me to feel that if TR could do such,
        so should I (little old me) go and do likewise.
        Gratefully,
        Vince Liberto
        New Orleans
        --- "Edward J. Renehan Jr." <erenehan@...>