Re: [tr-m] Jeffers' book on Ted Jr.

  • andreas gauf
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
      Dear all,

      I would like to come back to a question by John Gable
      (a few months ago) regarding comments to the book by
      H. Paul Jeffers "Theodore Roosevelt Jr., Life of a war
      hero".

      I recently finished reading this book. I enjoyed the
      book regarding TR Jr.'s time as governor of Puerto
      Rico and the Phillipines and World War I & II because
      I didn't know much about his life during these periods
      (except what Ed Renehan and Sylvia Morris wrote in
      their books). What I did not like about Jeffers' book
      are a few errors he put in, which could have been
      avoided by better research: For example, he wrote a
      few times (like on page 28) that TR (the president)
      said that he feels "as fit as a bull moose" in 1898!
      As far as I know this expression was coined only in
      1912 when a mad man tried to kill TR in Milwaukee.
      He also writes twice that "The Roosevelt family of
      Sagamore Hill" was written by Mr. Harbaugh (pages 16
      and 30). We all know that Hermann Hagedorn wrote this
      great book!
      It is amazing how many qualities of TR we can find in
      his oldest son! Jeffers book is a good read, but from
      my point of view not the great narrative as we know it
      from Edmund Morris or David McCullough!

      Yours,
      Andreas

      Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de
    • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
        1) Kathleen Dalton will be one of the presenters at
        our big TR conference in Buffalo this October.

        2) re: the Donnelly book, I've not heard of it but
        will look it up.

        - Ed Renehan

        --- andreas gauf <andreas_gauf@...> wrote:
        > I heard about two new books on TR:
        >
        > "TR: A Strenuous Life" by Kathleen Dalton (October
        > 2002) and "TR: Larger than Life" by Matt Donnelly
        > (August 2002 ??)
        >
        > Who knows more about these books or the authors? Can
        > we expect good ones? Maybe the authors are in
        > contact
        > with the TRA/ John Gable for feedback?

        > M�chten Sie mit einem Gru� antworten?
        > http://grusskarten.yahoo.de

        =====
        EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
        http://renehan.blogspot.com
        erenehan@...

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • KDalt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
          Yes, I am certainly in contact with the TRA, John Gable, and the NPS for whom
          I am doing consulting. When I have a book tour set I will let people on the
          list-serv know where talks will be held--I enjoy seeing TR enthusiasts
          anytime. My book Theodore Roosevelt: A Strenuous Life comes out Oct. 15.
          Maybe I will see some of you in Buffalo.

          Kathleen Dalton
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
            We actually find TR saying in 1900, "I am as strong as a bull moose and
            you can use me to the limit," in a letter to Mark Hanna about the campaign
            of 1900. But, of course, TR usually said things more than once, and indeed
            the public identification of TR with the bull Moose image/name dates from
            1912. When he was shot in 1912, he actually told the audience that "it
            takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."
            Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt, Junior's charming book, Day Before Yesterday
            (1959), has much to say about Puerto Rico and the Philippines and Ted's
            career elsewhere. This remains the best book on TR, Junior. Pick it up in a
            used book store, such as Phil Blocklyn's in Oyster Bay (he usually has it in
            stock). The author is listed on the title page as "Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt,
            Jr." Why ? Because her name was Eleanor Roosevelt, and there was
            continual confusion with another ER. Mrs. TR, Jr's name was Eleanor Butler
            Alexander Roosevelt. Someone recently told me that they had owned Day Before
            Yesterday for years, in their Roosevelt collection, but had never read it.
            Now that collector has read the book and is singing its praises. It's a fine
            book from a literary standpoint. Naturally, it is all from a definite
            perspective and viewpoint. Ted never is wrong, and Franklin and Eleanor are
            always wrong. No mention of FDR awarding Ted the Medal of Honor, or of his
            arranging for Archie and Kermit to get in the Army when they could not pass
            the physical.
            I know about Kathleen Dalton's book and read much of it in
            manuscript. This Donnelly book I know nothing about at all. We have long
            been waiting for the Dalton book, which promises to have some new things to
            say about many subjects. It is due out in October. She is a featured speaker
            at the Buffalo conference.
            Don't miss that conference. It will be years and years probably
            before there is anything much like it again. The last major TR conference
            before this one was in 1990 at Hofstra. There is still time. Call Buffalo at
            (716) 884-0095. Be there or be square.
            I think Jeffers, who is a good writer, works too fast. He has never
            sent a manuscript to this office for checking, and his factual errors are
            upsetting.
            John Gable in Oyster Bay

          • BrotherPres@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
              On the subject of new books, I had read that Frank Keating - the outgoing Governor of Oklahoma - has already finished a large manuscript for a TR bio.  Has anyone heard about this?

              Keating recently published a children's book on Oklahoma humorist Will Rogers, and during his book tour for that book he mentioned the TR manuscript...

              Just curious if anyone had heard anything about it.

              Thanks!

              G.T.
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                The only thing I can add is that his office contacted the TRA office for a copy of the TR CD-ROM.

                Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

                Linda E. Milano
                Assistant Director                        (516) 921-6319
                Theodore Roosevelt Association       Fax:  (516) 921-6481
                P.O. Box 719                              E-Mail:  TRA_Milano@...
                Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719              web:  www.theodoreroosevelt.org