Fw: Book on Collier

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002

      Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 4:06 PM
      Subject: Fwd: Book on Collier

      Minor Ferris Buchanan, Holt Collier, His Life, His Roosevelt Hunts, and The Origin of the Teddy Bear, Centennial Press, Jackson, Mississippi, 2002.

      The publisher's address is:

      Centennial Press of Mississippi, Inc.
      P.O. Box 12974
      Jackson, MS 39236-2974
      601-957-9095
    • andreas gauf
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
        Dear all,

        I would like to come back to a question by John Gable
        (a few months ago) regarding comments to the book by
        H. Paul Jeffers "Theodore Roosevelt Jr., Life of a war
        hero".

        I recently finished reading this book. I enjoyed the
        book regarding TR Jr.'s time as governor of Puerto
        Rico and the Phillipines and World War I & II because
        I didn't know much about his life during these periods
        (except what Ed Renehan and Sylvia Morris wrote in
        their books). What I did not like about Jeffers' book
        are a few errors he put in, which could have been
        avoided by better research: For example, he wrote a
        few times (like on page 28) that TR (the president)
        said that he feels "as fit as a bull moose" in 1898!
        As far as I know this expression was coined only in
        1912 when a mad man tried to kill TR in Milwaukee.
        He also writes twice that "The Roosevelt family of
        Sagamore Hill" was written by Mr. Harbaugh (pages 16
        and 30). We all know that Hermann Hagedorn wrote this
        great book!
        It is amazing how many qualities of TR we can find in
        his oldest son! Jeffers book is a good read, but from
        my point of view not the great narrative as we know it
        from Edmund Morris or David McCullough!

        Yours,
        Andreas

        Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de
      • andreas gauf

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
            I heard about two new books on TR:

            "TR: A Strenuous Life" by Kathleen Dalton (October
            2002) and "TR: Larger than Life" by Matt Donnelly
            (August 2002 ??)

            Who knows more about these books or the authors? Can
            we expect good ones? Maybe the authors are in contact
            with the TRA/ John Gable for feedback?

            Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de
          • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
              1) Kathleen Dalton will be one of the presenters at
              our big TR conference in Buffalo this October.

              2) re: the Donnelly book, I've not heard of it but
              will look it up.

              - Ed Renehan

              --- andreas gauf <andreas_gauf@...> wrote:
              > I heard about two new books on TR:
              >
              > "TR: A Strenuous Life" by Kathleen Dalton (October
              > 2002) and "TR: Larger than Life" by Matt Donnelly
              > (August 2002 ??)
              >
              > Who knows more about these books or the authors? Can
              > we expect good ones? Maybe the authors are in
              > contact
              > with the TRA/ John Gable for feedback?

              > M�chten Sie mit einem Gru� antworten?
              > http://grusskarten.yahoo.de

              =====
              EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
              http://renehan.blogspot.com
              erenehan@...

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • KDalt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
                Yes, I am certainly in contact with the TRA, John Gable, and the NPS for whom
                I am doing consulting. When I have a book tour set I will let people on the
                list-serv know where talks will be held--I enjoy seeing TR enthusiasts
                anytime. My book Theodore Roosevelt: A Strenuous Life comes out Oct. 15.
                Maybe I will see some of you in Buffalo.

                Kathleen Dalton
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
                  We actually find TR saying in 1900, "I am as strong as a bull moose and
                  you can use me to the limit," in a letter to Mark Hanna about the campaign
                  of 1900. But, of course, TR usually said things more than once, and indeed
                  the public identification of TR with the bull Moose image/name dates from
                  1912. When he was shot in 1912, he actually told the audience that "it
                  takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."
                  Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt, Junior's charming book, Day Before Yesterday
                  (1959), has much to say about Puerto Rico and the Philippines and Ted's
                  career elsewhere. This remains the best book on TR, Junior. Pick it up in a
                  used book store, such as Phil Blocklyn's in Oyster Bay (he usually has it in
                  stock). The author is listed on the title page as "Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt,
                  Jr." Why ? Because her name was Eleanor Roosevelt, and there was
                  continual confusion with another ER. Mrs. TR, Jr's name was Eleanor Butler
                  Alexander Roosevelt. Someone recently told me that they had owned Day Before
                  Yesterday for years, in their Roosevelt collection, but had never read it.
                  Now that collector has read the book and is singing its praises. It's a fine
                  book from a literary standpoint. Naturally, it is all from a definite
                  perspective and viewpoint. Ted never is wrong, and Franklin and Eleanor are
                  always wrong. No mention of FDR awarding Ted the Medal of Honor, or of his
                  arranging for Archie and Kermit to get in the Army when they could not pass
                  the physical.
                  I know about Kathleen Dalton's book and read much of it in
                  manuscript. This Donnelly book I know nothing about at all. We have long
                  been waiting for the Dalton book, which promises to have some new things to
                  say about many subjects. It is due out in October. She is a featured speaker
                  at the Buffalo conference.
                  Don't miss that conference. It will be years and years probably
                  before there is anything much like it again. The last major TR conference
                  before this one was in 1990 at Hofstra. There is still time. Call Buffalo at
                  (716) 884-0095. Be there or be square.
                  I think Jeffers, who is a good writer, works too fast. He has never
                  sent a manuscript to this office for checking, and his factual errors are
                  upsetting.
                  John Gable in Oyster Bay

                • BrotherPres@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                    On the subject of new books, I had read that Frank Keating - the outgoing Governor of Oklahoma - has already finished a large manuscript for a TR bio.  Has anyone heard about this?

                    Keating recently published a children's book on Oklahoma humorist Will Rogers, and during his book tour for that book he mentioned the TR manuscript...

                    Just curious if anyone had heard anything about it.

                    Thanks!

                    G.T.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                      The only thing I can add is that his office contacted the TRA office for a copy of the TR CD-ROM.

                      Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

                      Linda E. Milano
                      Assistant Director                        (516) 921-6319
                      Theodore Roosevelt Association       Fax:  (516) 921-6481
                      P.O. Box 719                              E-Mail:  TRA_Milano@...
                      Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719              web:  www.theodoreroosevelt.org