Re: [tr-m] New question for the group

  • Vince Liberto
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22 8:57 AM
      Though it's always dangerous to take historical
      figures and put them into the present, I can't
      help but respond to such a question...the spirit
      of TR is so present in today's situation. I have
      thought about this from time to time while
      watching Brokaw.
      I am a believer and I really believe that TR is
      watching over George W and giving him the courage
      he needs to fearlessly address the events today.
      TR believed that the destiny of the United States
      was to take its place in the world as a leading,
      timeless nation. He would continue his optimism,
      and attack all suspected perpetrators with gusto
      and youthful vitality. In a word, the war would
      be escalating at a faster rate, and Saddam
      Hussein and other thugs would be on the run.
      Vince Liberto
      New Orleans
      --- rochester_2002 <gstoppel@...> wrote:
      > Based on what we know from the various
      > biographies and other
      > materials, I think it would be interesting for
      > a discussion on how
      > TR might resolve the terrorist threat at home.
      > What action would he
      > take? How would he resolve it?
      > I came across an interesting portion of a
      > speech in the TR
      > Cyclopedia on Memorial Day - pointing out that
      > it is a day of
      > mourning because past politicial leaders did
      > not have the courage to
      > address the problem of slavery that led to the
      > Civil War.
      > Any thoughts on what he would have to say
      > about today's situation?

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Jim Wiedman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22 2:22 PM
        While it is fun to daydream about it, I believe it is folly to speculate
        on how TR would
        think about a 21st issue. Presidential candidates (and President's
        themselves) from
        Pat Buchannan, Bill Clinton, John McCain and George Bush have all
        likened themselves
        to TR. Each of their visions of TR was dramatically different than each
        other.

        It is far too easy for those of us who have studied TR to decide that we
        can divine his
        opinion about modern events. However, in the past when these types of
        discussions
        have come up, they always lead us away from TR. We have invariably
        turned to the
        merits of our opinions or the demerits of the opinions of others. For
        this reason I
        think it is much wiser to keep to our discussions about TR's life and
        times, while we
        save our daydreams for other forums.

        Jim