New question for the group

  • rochester_2002
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2002
      Based on what we know from the various biographies and other
      materials, I think it would be interesting for a discussion on how
      TR might resolve the terrorist threat at home. What action would he
      take? How would he resolve it?
      I came across an interesting portion of a speech in the TR
      Cyclopedia on Memorial Day - pointing out that it is a day of
      mourning because past politicial leaders did not have the courage to
      address the problem of slavery that led to the Civil War.
      Any thoughts on what he would have to say about today's situation?
    • Vince Liberto
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2002
        Though it's always dangerous to take historical
        figures and put them into the present, I can't
        help but respond to such a question...the spirit
        of TR is so present in today's situation. I have
        thought about this from time to time while
        watching Brokaw.
        I am a believer and I really believe that TR is
        watching over George W and giving him the courage
        he needs to fearlessly address the events today.
        TR believed that the destiny of the United States
        was to take its place in the world as a leading,
        timeless nation. He would continue his optimism,
        and attack all suspected perpetrators with gusto
        and youthful vitality. In a word, the war would
        be escalating at a faster rate, and Saddam
        Hussein and other thugs would be on the run.
        Vince Liberto
        New Orleans
        --- rochester_2002 <gstoppel@...> wrote:
        > Based on what we know from the various
        > biographies and other
        > materials, I think it would be interesting for
        > a discussion on how
        > TR might resolve the terrorist threat at home.
        > What action would he
        > take? How would he resolve it?
        > I came across an interesting portion of a
        > speech in the TR
        > Cyclopedia on Memorial Day - pointing out that
        > it is a day of
        > mourning because past politicial leaders did
        > not have the courage to
        > address the problem of slavery that led to the
        > Civil War.
        > Any thoughts on what he would have to say
        > about today's situation?

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Jim Wiedman
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2002
          While it is fun to daydream about it, I believe it is folly to speculate
          on how TR would
          think about a 21st issue. Presidential candidates (and President's
          themselves) from
          Pat Buchannan, Bill Clinton, John McCain and George Bush have all
          likened themselves
          to TR. Each of their visions of TR was dramatically different than each
          other.

          It is far too easy for those of us who have studied TR to decide that we
          can divine his
          opinion about modern events. However, in the past when these types of
          discussions
          have come up, they always lead us away from TR. We have invariably
          turned to the
          merits of our opinions or the demerits of the opinions of others. For
          this reason I
          think it is much wiser to keep to our discussions about TR's life and
          times, while we
          save our daydreams for other forums.

          Jim