[tr-m] The Launch of Federalism

  • Swiech, Robert A
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8 10:28 AM
      I saw a review of a book titled Contempt of Court authored by Mark Curriden.
      The book is subtitled The Turn-of-the-Century Lynching that Launched a
      Hundred Years of Federalism.

      In short, a Tennessee court convicted a black man of aggravated rape
      against a white woman and sentenced him to death. State of Tennessee v. Ed
      Johnson. The US Supreme Court issued an immediate emergency stay of
      Johnson's execution. The Court also ordered the local sheriff, Mr. Shipp, to
      protect Johnson. Shortly thereafter a local mob led by sheriff Shipp lynched
      Mr. Johnson.

      After lengthy consults with the US Attorney General and President
      Theodore Roosevelt for the first time in history The U.S. Supreme Court
      brought criminal contempt of court charges against sheriff Shipp and others.
      Then, in an occurrence that never happened before or since, the justices
      decided to hear the case themselves and found sheriff Shipp and others
      guilty. U.S. v. Shipp.

      Does anyone have a good source for President Theodore Roosevelt's
      involvement in this matter?