Stephen E. Ambrose

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
                                                                                      To the Executive Committee and Trustees of the Theodore Roosevelt Association:

          Today, May 1, I received a letter from Stephen Ambrose, dated April 27, 2002, in which he thanks me for my recent letter notifying him that we will shortly deliver to him the Theodore Roosevelt Distinguished Service Medal he was originally to have received in September 2001 at the conference in Buffalo, which has now been rescheduled for October 2002. He refers to the upcoming conference. He also refers to the speech he was to deliver , comparing Thomas Jefferson, President in 1801, and Theodore Roosevelt, President in 1901. He writes:
              "Thanks for your kind letter. As it turns out, I can't be with you anyway, as yesterday the results of a test came in and I have a lung cancer that cannot be treated and I'll be gone in three to six months. So I'm trying to catch up with things that must be done, and one of them is the talk I was going to give for you on TJ and TR.  You might already have a copy, but if not, now you do. I think it should be printed somewhere and put that problem into your hands. You are now as you have always been a great scholar and man whose work I have admired beyond stint.
               "Happy  Trails,
                         Steve"
              A statement was issued to the press today by Steve Ambrose from New Orleans.  I shall be delivering the medal to him in New Orleans at the end of next week, on a previously scheduled trip to attend the TRA Police Award in New Orleans.  I am working on editing the paper he sent me with his letter.
                                                            John   A. Gable
      Executive  Director,  Theodore Roosevelt Association
    • RANBRD@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2002
        John:

        The privilege of knowing Steve Ambrose and the pleasure of reading his
        wonderful books which will remain in my library through my children's
        children, reinforces my pride to be an American. In my humble opinion, Mr.
        Ambrose has done as much for we Americans to keep us on the right track. Our
        prayers are with he and his family. When I return to New Orleans, my hat
        will always be off to him.

        Kindest Regards,

        Randy