Burroughs & Pine Knot Part II

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      Then we also have this, from TR'S LETTERS TO HIS
      CHILDREN.
      -- Ed Renehan
      ejren@...
      http://renehan.net

      *********************

      White House, May 10, 1908.

      DEAREST ARCHIE:
      Mother and I had great fun at Pine Knot. Mr.
      Burroughs, whom I call Oom John, was with us and we
      greatly enjoyed having him. But one night he fell into
      great disgrace! The flying squirrels that were there
      last Christmas had raised a brood, having built a
      large nest inside of the room in which you used to
      sleep and in which John Burroughs slept. Of course
      they held high carnival at night-time. Mother and I do
      not mind them at all, and indeed rather like to hear
      them scrambling about, and then as a sequel to a
      sudden frantic fight between two of them, hearing or
      seeing one little fellow come plump down to the floor
      and scuttle off again to the wall. But one night they
      waked up John Burroughs and he spent a misguided hour
      hunting for the nest, and when he found it took it
      down and caught two of the young squirrels and put
      them in a basket. The next day under Mother's
      direction I took them out, getting my fingers somewhat
      bitten in the process, and loosed them in our room,
      where we had previously put back the nest. I do not
      think John Burroughs profited by his misconduct,
      because the squirrels were more active than ever that
      night both in his room and ours, the disturbance in
      their family affairs having evidently made them
      restless!

      ###

      =====
      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.