Re: RFI: TR's ornithology records for North Dakota

  • SimonATL
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013
      Make that http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org/

      Sorry - Link did NOT work.

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "SimonATL" <simonatl@...> wrote:

      > What Steve is pointing at is that Dickinson State University has been
      > given a grant to begin digitizing many of the Theodore Roosevelt
      > materials at Harvard. Working directly with Harvard's Houghton Library
      > and its "Theodore Roosevelt collection, DSI has already started the
      > scanning of thousands of documents.
      > Click HERE to go to the Theodore Roosevelt Center at DSU
      >
      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
      > >
      > > The best person would be Sharon Kilzer at the TR Center in ND.
      > > sharon.kilzer@
      > > Good Luck!
      > >
      > > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 05:37:20 -0500 "Stevan Hawkins"
      > > shawkins4@ writes:
      > >
      > > Simon:
      > >
      > > Discouraging word is better than no word. From what you say it sounds
      > > like it is doubtful that TR's bird records have been digitized. This
      > > morning when I used Theodore Roosevelt as a search term at the
      > Searchable
      > > Ornithological Research Archive http://sora.unm.edu/, it returned
      > exactly
      > > zero results. Since you were the only person to reply to my request
      > for
      > > information, it seems like the only solution would be for a person to
      > do
      > > a physical search of the Harvard Collection of TR's writings. The
      > idea
      > > of Mr. Roosevelt's bird records no longer existing makes such a search
      > > daunting.
      > >
      > > I do appreciate your help, Sir!
      > >
      > > Sincerely,
      > >
      > > Steve
      > >
      > > Stevan Hawkins
      > > San Antonio TX

    • Stevan Hawkins
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013

        Simon:

        This is very encouraging.

        BTW:  My parents were both raised in McKenzie County ND.  Even though neither of them could met TR, being as Mom and Dad were born in the nineteen-teens and twenties, their parents and grandparents could have easly met the man.

        Thank you, Sir!

        Steve

        Stevan Hawkins

        San Antonio TX

        What Steve is pointing at is that Dickinson State University has been given a grant to begin digitizing many of the Theodore Roosevelt materials at Harvard. Working directly with Harvard's Houghton Library and its "Theodore Roosevelt collection, DSI has already started the scanning of thousands of documents.

        Click HERE to go to the Theodore Roosevelt Center at DSU

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > The best person would be Sharon Kilzer at the TR Center in ND.
        > sharon.kilzer@...
        > Good Luck!
        >
        > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 05:37:20 -0500 "Stevan Hawkins"
        > shawkins4@... writes:
        >
        > Simon:
        >
        > Discouraging word is better than no word. From what you say it sounds
        > like it is doubtful that TR's bird records have been digitized. This
        > morning when I used Theodore Roosevelt as a search term at the Searchable
        > Ornithological Research Archive http://sora.unm.edu/, it returned exactly
        > zero results. Since you were the only person to reply to my request for
        > information, it seems like the only solution would be for a person to do
        > a physical search of the Harvard Collection of TR's writings. The idea
        > of Mr. Roosevelt's bird records no longer existing makes such a search
        > daunting.
        >
        > I do appreciate your help, Sir!
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > Stevan Hawkins
        > San Antonio TX

      • Stevan Hawkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013

          TR experts:

          Special thank to SimonATL, Linda Milano, and Sharon Kitzer for their assistance in what seemed like a possibly impossible quest.  As time goes by, people may yet find some or all of TR's notes about his bird observations in western North Dakota.

          Thanks!

          Steve

          Stevan Hawkins

          San Antonio TX