RFI: TR's ornithology records for North Dakota

  • Stevan Hawkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 2013

      TR experts:

      Does anyone know if TR kept a record of his bird observations when he was in North Dakota?  If he did, is there a way of getting a copy of this information?  The reason I ask is because the advent of eBird http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ has increased the interest of the birding community in historical bird records.   At the moment there is a thread on the North Dakota Birds discussion group

      https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=ND-BIRDS about historical bird records for the state.  Members of the group consequently are interested in Theodore Roosevelt's bird records from North Dakota.  Any leads, positive or negative, about TR's bird records from North Dakota will be appreciated.

      Sincerely!

      Steve

      Stevan Hawkins

      San Antonio TX

    • SimonATL
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 2013
        TR biographers tell of a young Theodore Roosevelt taking notes while watching birds and other wildlife out in the Dakota Territory. Such notes would most probably be in the Harvard Collection if they were preserved.

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@...> wrote:

        > TR experts:
        >

        > Does anyone know if TR kept a record of his bird observations when he was in
        > North Dakota? If he did, is there a way of getting a copy of this
        > information? The reason I ask is because the advent of eBird
        > http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ has increased the interest of the birding
        > community in historical bird records. At the moment there is a thread on
        > the North Dakota Birds discussion group
        >
        > https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=ND-BIRDS about historical bird
        > records for the state. Members of the group consequently are interested in
        > Theodore Roosevelt's bird records from North Dakota. Any leads, positive or
        > negative, about TR's bird records from North Dakota will be appreciated.
        >

        > Sincerely!
        >

        > Steve
        >

        > Stevan Hawkins
        >
        > San Antonio TX

      • Stevan Hawkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013

          Simon:

          Discouraging word is better than no word.  From what you say it sounds like it is doubtful that TR's bird records have been digitized.  This morning when I used Theodore Roosevelt as a search term at the Searchable Ornithological Research Archive http://sora.unm.edu/, it returned exactly zero results.  Since you were the only person to reply to my request for information, it seems like the only solution would be for a person to do a physical search of the Harvard Collection of TR's writings.  The idea of Mr. Roosevelt's bird records no longer existing makes such a search daunting.

          I do appreciate your help, Sir!

          Sincerely,

          Steve

          Stevan Hawkins

          San Antonio TX

          TR biographers tell of a young Theodore Roosevelt taking notes while watching birds and other wildlife out in the Dakota Territory. Such notes would most probably be in the Harvard Collection if they were preserved.

          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@...> wrote:

          > TR experts:
          >

          > Does anyone know if TR kept a record of his bird observations when he was in
          > North Dakota? If he did, is there a way of getting a copy of this
          > information? The reason I ask is because the advent of eBird
          > http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ has increased the interest of the birding
          > community in historical bird records. At the moment there is a thread on
          > the North Dakota Birds discussion group
          >
          > https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=ND-BIRDS about historical bird
          > records for the state. Members of the group consequently are interested in
          > Theodore Roosevelt's bird records from North Dakota. Any leads, positive or
          > negative, about TR's bird records from North Dakota will be appreciated.
          >

          > Sincerely!
          >

          > Steve
          >

          > Stevan Hawkins
          >
          > San Antonio TX

        • michelereneebryant

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013

              I know Harvard has some of his bird records from when he was younger, but I'm not sure of the North Dakota ones.

              Linda Milano

              TR biographers tell of a young Theodore Roosevelt taking notes while watching birds and other wildlife out in the Dakota Territory. Such notes would most probably be in the Harvard Collection if they were preserved.

              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@...> wrote:

              > TR experts:
              >

              > Does anyone know if TR kept a record of his bird observations when he was in
              > North Dakota? If he did, is there a way of getting a copy of this
              > information? The reason I ask is because the advent of eBird
              > http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ has increased the interest of the birding
              > community in historical bird records. At the moment there is a thread on
              > the North Dakota Birds discussion group
              >
              > https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=ND-BIRDS about historical bird
              > records for the state. Members of the group consequently are interested in
              > Theodore Roosevelt's bird records from North Dakota. Any leads, positive or
              > negative, about TR's bird records from North Dakota will be appreciated.
              >

              > Sincerely!
              >

              > Steve
              >

              > Stevan Hawkins
              >
              > San Antonio TX

            • SimonATL
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013
                What Steve is pointing at is that Dickinson State University has been given a grant to begin digitizing many of the Theodore Roosevelt materials at Harvard. Working directly with Harvard's Houghton Library and its "Theodore Roosevelt collection, DSI has already started the scanning of thousands of documents.

                --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                > The best person would be Sharon Kilzer at the TR Center in ND.
                > sharon.kilzer@...
                > Good Luck!
                >
                > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 05:37:20 -0500 "Stevan Hawkins"
                > shawkins4@... writes:
                >
                > Simon:
                >
                > Discouraging word is better than no word. From what you say it sounds
                > like it is doubtful that TR's bird records have been digitized. This
                > morning when I used Theodore Roosevelt as a search term at the Searchable
                > Ornithological Research Archive http://sora.unm.edu/, it returned exactly
                > zero results. Since you were the only person to reply to my request for
                > information, it seems like the only solution would be for a person to do
                > a physical search of the Harvard Collection of TR's writings. The idea
                > of Mr. Roosevelt's bird records no longer existing makes such a search
                > daunting.
                >
                > I do appreciate your help, Sir!
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Steve
                >
                > Stevan Hawkins
                > San Antonio TX

              • SimonATL
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24, 2013
                  Make that http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org/

                  Sorry - Link did NOT work.

                  --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "SimonATL" <simonatl@...> wrote:

                  > What Steve is pointing at is that Dickinson State University has been
                  > given a grant to begin digitizing many of the Theodore Roosevelt
                  > materials at Harvard. Working directly with Harvard's Houghton Library
                  > and its "Theodore Roosevelt collection, DSI has already started the
                  > scanning of thousands of documents.
                  > Click HERE to go to the Theodore Roosevelt Center at DSU
                  >
                  > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The best person would be Sharon Kilzer at the TR Center in ND.
                  > > sharon.kilzer@
                  > > Good Luck!
                  > >
                  > > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 05:37:20 -0500 "Stevan Hawkins"
                  > > shawkins4@ writes:
                  > >
                  > > Simon:
                  > >
                  > > Discouraging word is better than no word. From what you say it sounds
                  > > like it is doubtful that TR's bird records have been digitized. This
                  > > morning when I used Theodore Roosevelt as a search term at the
                  > Searchable
                  > > Ornithological Research Archive http://sora.unm.edu/, it returned
                  > exactly
                  > > zero results. Since you were the only person to reply to my request
                  > for
                  > > information, it seems like the only solution would be for a person to
                  > do
                  > > a physical search of the Harvard Collection of TR's writings. The
                  > idea
                  > > of Mr. Roosevelt's bird records no longer existing makes such a search
                  > > daunting.
                  > >
                  > > I do appreciate your help, Sir!
                  > >
                  > > Sincerely,
                  > >
                  > > Steve
                  > >
                  > > Stevan Hawkins
                  > > San Antonio TX

                • Stevan Hawkins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013

                    Simon:

                    This is very encouraging.

                    BTW:  My parents were both raised in McKenzie County ND.  Even though neither of them could met TR, being as Mom and Dad were born in the nineteen-teens and twenties, their parents and grandparents could have easly met the man.

                    Thank you, Sir!

                    Steve

                    Stevan Hawkins

                    San Antonio TX

                    What Steve is pointing at is that Dickinson State University has been given a grant to begin digitizing many of the Theodore Roosevelt materials at Harvard. Working directly with Harvard's Houghton Library and its "Theodore Roosevelt collection, DSI has already started the scanning of thousands of documents.

                    Click HERE to go to the Theodore Roosevelt Center at DSU

                    --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                    > The best person would be Sharon Kilzer at the TR Center in ND.
                    > sharon.kilzer@...
                    > Good Luck!
                    >
                    > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 05:37:20 -0500 "Stevan Hawkins"
                    > shawkins4@... writes:
                    >
                    > Simon:
                    >
                    > Discouraging word is better than no word. From what you say it sounds
                    > like it is doubtful that TR's bird records have been digitized. This
                    > morning when I used Theodore Roosevelt as a search term at the Searchable
                    > Ornithological Research Archive http://sora.unm.edu/, it returned exactly
                    > zero results. Since you were the only person to reply to my request for
                    > information, it seems like the only solution would be for a person to do
                    > a physical search of the Harvard Collection of TR's writings. The idea
                    > of Mr. Roosevelt's bird records no longer existing makes such a search
                    > daunting.
                    >
                    > I do appreciate your help, Sir!
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > Steve
                    >
                    > Stevan Hawkins
                    > San Antonio TX

                  • Stevan Hawkins
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013

                      TR experts:

                      Special thank to SimonATL, Linda Milano, and Sharon Kitzer for their assistance in what seemed like a possibly impossible quest.  As time goes by, people may yet find some or all of TR's notes about his bird observations in western North Dakota.

                      Thanks!

                      Steve

                      Stevan Hawkins

                      San Antonio TX