Roosevelt in Africa (1910)

  • George Pagliero
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
      Hello All,

      I am working on a documentary about the history of safari in East Africa and I am trying to locate the complete 'Roosevelt in Africa' film, photographed by Cherry Kearton, released in 1910.

      According to my research I am led to believe the original film release could have been an hour long. However I can only find short clips of film. The Library of Congress has just four short clips - between 2 and 4 minutes long whilst the British Film Institute in London, who curate many Kearton films, only have a single reel of outtakes.

      Can anyone in this forum group help? Does anyone know of another film archive that may have Roosevelt in Africa film? Has anyone ever seen a complete film?

      All thoughts and ideas will be most welcome.

      Kind regards,

      George Pagliero

      Producer, Tigress Productions, UK

    • Genna Rollins
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
        Dear George,

        Since TR's African Safari was a scientific exhibition funded by the Smithsonian Institution, the Smithsonian might have the film you're looking for. I suggest you contact Dr. Pamela Henson, director of the Smithsonian's Institutional History Division (contact link below). She might be able to help you.

        http://www.si.edu/ofg/Staffhp/hensonp.htm

        Kind regards,

        Genna Rollins

[...]

      • michelereneebryant

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 16, 2013

            Thank you. Sadly all the British Film Institute has are what are classed 'out takes' and mirror what the library of Congress has. Just 10 minutes or so of compiled clips.

            There must be a complete film somewhere.

            The one place I haven't tried is the Smithsonian, who sponsored the expedition. My next port of call.