Re: [tr-m] Damage at Sagamore Hill?

  • Constance Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
      Was anything damaged?

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 8, 2012, at 11:05 PM, "Linda E. Milano" <lindamilano721@...> wrote:

      According to the official Sagamore Hill website (nps.gov/sahi), the park is closed due to Hurricane Sandy, but there was no detail.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012

        From the Oyster Bay Enterprise-Pilot newspaper of Friday, November 9:

        Sagamore Hill Closed

        The National Park Service Incident Management Team (NPS IMT) completed the move on Sunday, Nov. 4 of its Command Center Operation from Hagerstown, Maryland to the New York Harbor area. In addition to the core team there are specialized support crews in the field supporting employee emergency needs, conducting damage assessments and removing debris in the affected areas.

        A meteorologist has been requested for the team and will provide projections for the nor’easter forecast for Wednesday and branches are developing inclement weather contingency plans as well.

        As we went to press, the Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace, in NYC, where the Theodore Roosevelt Association is currently located has no assessed damage, but remains closed due to no power. At Sagamore Hill National Historic Site teams were onsite for damage assessment Monday, including beach areas and overwashes.

        Which means the house and Old Orchard were undamaged…

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7 5:00 PM
          So, I'm reading the Sunday funnies this morning, turn the page, and
          there's TR at the podium: “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to
          win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take
          rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
          because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor
          defeat.” in the "Dustin" comic strip.

          I'll let you read the comic for the joke in the last panel.

          Note that the comic's "official" site appears to be a week behind--last
          Sunday's is the most recent. Try either the Milwaukee Journal or the
          Seattle Post-Intelligencer sites.
          http://www.jsonline.com/comics/32402404.html?feature_id=Dustin
          http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Dustin/

          --

          Mark Arend
          Oshkosh, WI

          Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.
          --Harper Lee
        • Robert G Rafael Guber