RE: [tr-m] Damage at Sagamore Hill?

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012

      According to the official Sagamore Hill website (nps.gov/sahi), the park is closed due to Hurricane Sandy, but there was no detail.

      Does anyone know if there was any damage at Sagamore Hill as a result of the storm
      Thanks!

    • Constance Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
        Was anything damaged?

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012

          From the Oyster Bay Enterprise-Pilot newspaper of Friday, November 9:

          Sagamore Hill Closed

          The National Park Service Incident Management Team (NPS IMT) completed the move on Sunday, Nov. 4 of its Command Center Operation from Hagerstown, Maryland to the New York Harbor area. In addition to the core team there are specialized support crews in the field supporting employee emergency needs, conducting damage assessments and removing debris in the affected areas.

          A meteorologist has been requested for the team and will provide projections for the nor’easter forecast for Wednesday and branches are developing inclement weather contingency plans as well.

          As we went to press, the Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace, in NYC, where the Theodore Roosevelt Association is currently located has no assessed damage, but remains closed due to no power. At Sagamore Hill National Historic Site teams were onsite for damage assessment Monday, including beach areas and overwashes.

          Which means the house and Old Orchard were undamaged…

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
            So, I'm reading the Sunday funnies this morning, turn the page, and
            there's TR at the podium: “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to
            win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take
            rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
            because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor
            defeat.” in the "Dustin" comic strip.

            I'll let you read the comic for the joke in the last panel.

            Note that the comic's "official" site appears to be a week behind--last
            Sunday's is the most recent. Try either the Milwaukee Journal or the
            Seattle Post-Intelligencer sites.
            http://www.jsonline.com/comics/32402404.html?feature_id=Dustin
            http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Dustin/

            --

            Mark Arend
            Oshkosh, WI

            Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.
            --Harper Lee
          • Robert G Rafael Guber