Damage at Sagamore Hill?

  • historynursing
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      Does anyone know if there was any damage at Sagamore Hill as a result of the storm
      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012

        According to the official Sagamore Hill website (nps.gov/sahi), the park is closed due to Hurricane Sandy, but there was no detail.

        Does anyone know if there was any damage at Sagamore Hill as a result of the storm
        Thanks!

      • Constance Moore
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
          Was anything damaged?

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012

            From the Oyster Bay Enterprise-Pilot newspaper of Friday, November 9:

            Sagamore Hill Closed

            The National Park Service Incident Management Team (NPS IMT) completed the move on Sunday, Nov. 4 of its Command Center Operation from Hagerstown, Maryland to the New York Harbor area. In addition to the core team there are specialized support crews in the field supporting employee emergency needs, conducting damage assessments and removing debris in the affected areas.

            A meteorologist has been requested for the team and will provide projections for the nor’easter forecast for Wednesday and branches are developing inclement weather contingency plans as well.

            As we went to press, the Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace, in NYC, where the Theodore Roosevelt Association is currently located has no assessed damage, but remains closed due to no power. At Sagamore Hill National Historic Site teams were onsite for damage assessment Monday, including beach areas and overwashes.

            Which means the house and Old Orchard were undamaged…

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
              So, I'm reading the Sunday funnies this morning, turn the page, and
              there's TR at the podium: “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to
              win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take
              rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
              because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor
              defeat.” in the "Dustin" comic strip.

              I'll let you read the comic for the joke in the last panel.

              Note that the comic's "official" site appears to be a week behind--last
              Sunday's is the most recent. Try either the Milwaukee Journal or the
              Seattle Post-Intelligencer sites.
              http://www.jsonline.com/comics/32402404.html?feature_id=Dustin
              http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Dustin/

              --

              Mark Arend
              Oshkosh, WI

              Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.
              --Harper Lee
            • Robert G Rafael Guber