Famous TR Quote

  • Barry Casey
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2002
      A very common theme for TR. See
      http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/quotes.htm for a good list of famous
      TR quotes. I suspect the "Man in the Arena" quote is most applicable.

      "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong
      man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit
      belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by
      dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short
      again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming,
      but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself
      for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high
      achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while
      daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid
      souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

      "londonbuck_12 wrote:

      I saw a quote from Theordore on the back of some guys shirt that had
      to do with Rather trying something difficult as opposed to something
      easy. I can't remember it, but want to use it as my motivation for
      school. Does anyone know?"
    • TRA
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2002
        Would it be this one?

        "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong
        man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit
        belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by
        dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short
        again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming,
        but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself
        for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high
        achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while
        daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid
        souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." "Citizenship in a Republic,"
        Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

        Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

        Linda E. Milano
        Assistant Director (516) 921-6319
        Theodore Roosevelt Association Fax: (516) 921-6481
        P.O. Box 719 E-Mail:
        TRA_Milano@...
        Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 web: www.theodoreroosevelt.org

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2002
          Or alternately (might fit better on a T-shirt):

          "Far better it is to dare mighty things, win glorious
          triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to
          take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy
          much nor suffer much for they live in that grey
          twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

          I want to say that is from "The Strenuous Life".

          Cheers,
          Tim

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Vince Liberto
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2002
            Every time I see those quotes, I want to put one
            or more on a T-shirt or bumber sticker, along
            with the famous Sargent portrait.
            It's what we are--or should be--all about as
            Americans. And TR captured the American spirit
            all in those few lines.....at least that's what I
            think and believe.
            It totally fires me up, almost a century
            Vince Liberto
            New Orleans

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • moropus99
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2002
              I've seen a TR shirt with the inscription: "Do what you can, with
              what you have, where you are." Could that be it?