Least we forget the 100 year anniversary

  • kuniegel@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2012

      I dedicate this post in memory of a favorit TR saying, least we forget the 100 year anniversary of the Republican Party's shameful  convention theft of the people’s Republican choice to run against Wilson in 1912. Perhaps the 200 year anniversary of actions contrary to fair play will prompt more outrage and understanding of the cost and treasure this 1912 act caused on national and personal levels.

      While reviewing Francis Parkman’s “COUNT FRONTENAC AND NEW FRANCE UNDER LOUIS XIV.” for publication on my web site I remembered that no one has spoken about this anniversary. There are similarities in the way Count Frontenac was removed from power in Canada in the 1680's by underhanded dealings, that changed the course of American History and cut short many lives.

      Hit the line hard and do not foul was not the motto of the victors in the above contest. Least we get caught up in just remembering the Progressive movement that followed I believe it is a fair assumption based on TR’s past practices that the Bull Moose party would not have been headed by him in 1912 “IF” the Republican convention were not rigged. In my estimation I believe TR would have shook Taft’s hand and wished him well if he played fair and not become a 3rd party candidate, if Taft did indeed win the nomination fairly.

      How about some discussion from the TR group, do you have a different opinion or am I in left field or does anyone hold a similar opinion?

      Here are a few paragraphs from Bishop to help recall the history changing event. You can launch the book and do a word search to find this section of the Bishop’s book if you like.

      http://www.tramericanpatriot.com/content.php?book_id=10035

      As a matter of fact, so far as the primaries indicated the wishes of a majority of the Republican voters, they showed undeniably that Roosevelt was the favorite candi­date. The total number of delegates in the National Con­vention was 1,078, and 540 were necessary for a nomination. The great majority of the delegates had been chosen in the old style of primary and their exact attitude toward candi­dates was, in many instances, not known. At the time the convention met, on June 18, 1912, the leaders of both Roosevelt and Taft forces claimed a majority. In a canvass of the delegates, published by the New York Tribune, a strong Taft advocate, a few days earlier, the number of delegates who had expressed their preference for Roosevelt was placed at 469 and those similarly committed to Taft at 454. This was frank admission that Roosevelt, on the face of the primary and convention results, had a clear majority of the convention. In describing the proceedings both in the convention and in the National Committee anterior to the meeting of the convention, I shall quote from an account which was submitted to Roosevelt after the election in 1912 and received his approval. I am, therefore, giving his own version of the proceedings which, in his judgment, deprived him of a nomination which was rightfully his.

      The seats of more than 200 delegates were contested, and in accordance with established procedure in the party all contests were referred to the National Republican Commit­tee for investigation and report to the convention....................

      At the conclusion of the committee's work, it was an­nounced officially that 92 contests had been investigated and decided; there had been no roll-calls in 74 decisions; roll-calls in 16; unanimous vote in 4, and 2 contests had been abandoned. The net result was that 233 of the con­tested delegates were given to Taft and 6 to Roosevelt. The daily records of the proceedings of the committee were pub­lished in the newspapers of the country under such head­lines as the "Steam Roller Continues Its Work." "The Steam Roller Goes on Crushing Out Roosevelt Hopes." "The Steam Roller Gives Forty-Two More Votes to Taft— None to Roosevelt."