Re: TR and the Vanderbilts

  • chiponthecape
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2012
      Thanks for your help.

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Stan Wien <sdwien@...> wrote:

      > another source you might check is the The Roosevelt Family of Sagamore HIll which makes reference to Flora Whitney in the Index.  Author is Hermann Hagedorn
      >
      > Keep us posted on your progress
      >
      > Stan Wien
      >

      > ________________________________

    • chiponthecape
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14, 2012
        > To Linda - Thanks for the leads. I'm aware of the books you cited but I'd like to know more about "The malefactors of great wealth" and his meeting with Flora's mother. Can you direct me to a source?

        Many thanks,

        Chip

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2012

          From the Theodore Roosevelt Cyclopedia:

          "MALEFACTORS OF GREAT WEALTH." Too much cannot be said against the men of wealth who sacrifice everything to getting wealth. There is not in the world a more ignoble character than the mere money-getting American, insensible to every duty, regardless of every principle, bent only on amassing a fortune, and putting his fortune only to the basest uses —whether these uses be to speculate in stocks and wreck railroads himself, or to allow his son to lead a life of foolish and expensive idleness and gross debauchery, or to purchase some scoundrel of high social position, foreign or native, for his daughter. Such a man is only the more dangerous if he occasionally does some deed like founding a college or endowing a

          church, which makes those good people who are also foolish forget his real iniquity. These men are equally careless of the working men, whom they oppress, and of the State, whose existence they imperil. There are not very many of them, but there is a very great number of men who approach more or less closely to the type, and, just in so far as they do so approach, they are curses to the country. (Forum, February 1895.) Mem. Ed. XV, 10; Nat. Ed. XIII, 9. - Forum Magazine, February 1895, quoted in the Collected Works of Theodore Roosevelt, Memorial Edition volume XV, page 10; National Edition Volume XIII, page 9.

          There are some oblique references to the Vanderbilt family in that quote.  Flora's mother's first cousin, Consuelo Vanderbilt, was married off to the 9th Duke of Marlborough.    The Duke was in financial trouble, and her parents wanted their only daughter to have a title.  They were married in November 1895 in what was touted as the wedding of the century.

          Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney founded the Whitney Museum, and was an artist herself.  TR was impressed that she was contributing to society (she was involved in the running of the museum, not just donating money), and felt that she had her priorities straight.  I was checking places to see where I had read it, but then realized that I got the story from John Gable, who is, unfortunately, no longer with us.

          Best,

          Linda

          > To Linda - Thanks for the leads. I'm aware of the books you cited but I'd like to know more about "The malefactors of great wealth" and his meeting with Flora's mother. Can you direct me to a source?

          Many thanks,

          Chip

          > ________________________________

        • Garry Austin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16, 2012
            Good morning,
            In my TR collection I have a book;
            Vanderbilt, Jr., Cornelius. FAREWELL TO FIFTH AVENUE. New York: Simon And Schuster, 1935. Third printing. Octavo, red cloth with a paper label. 267pp. with index. Photographs. Very good. Part of the book is reminiscences of TR and his sons by Vanderbilt

            It would be worth getting a copy at the library and scanning the index. There were several TR references and I remember them as warm.
            Best, GA

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
              Thanks again, Linda Great stuff.

              Chip

              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Linda E. Milano" <lindamilano721@...> wrote:

              > From the Theodore Roosevelt Cyclopedia:
              >

              > "MALEFACTORS OF GREAT WEALTH." Too much cannot be said against the men of
              > wealth who sacrifice everything to getting wealth. There is not in the world
              > a more ignoble character than the mere money-getting American, insensible to
              > every duty, regardless of every principle, bent only on amassing a fortune,
              > and putting his fortune only to the basest uses —whether these uses be to
              > speculate in stocks and wreck railroads himself, or to allow his son to lead
              > a life of foolish and expensive idleness and gross debauchery, or to
              > purchase some scoundrel of high social position, foreign or native, for his
              > daughter. Such a man is only the more dangerous if he occasionally does some
              > deed like founding a college or endowing a
              >
              > church, which makes those good people who are also foolish forget his real
              > iniquity. These men are equally careless of the working men, whom they
              > oppress, and of the State, whose existence they imperil. There are not very
              > many of them, but there is a very great number of men who approach more or
              > less closely to the type, and, just in so far as they do so approach, they
              > are curses to the country. (Forum, February 1895.) Mem. Ed. XV, 10; Nat. Ed.
              > XIII, 9. - Forum Magazine, February 1895, quoted in the Collected Works of
              > Theodore Roosevelt, Memorial Edition volume XV, page 10; National Edition
              > Volume XIII, page 9.
              >

              > There are some oblique references to the Vanderbilt family in that quote.
              > Flora's mother's first cousin, Consuelo Vanderbilt, was married off to the
              > 9th Duke of Marlborough. The Duke was in financial trouble, and her
              > parents wanted their only daughter to have a title. They were married in
              > November 1895 in what was touted as the wedding of the century.
              >

              > Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney founded the Whitney Museum, and was an artist
              > herself. TR was impressed that she was contributing to society (she was
              > involved in the running of the museum, not just donating money), and felt
              > that she had her priorities straight. I was checking places to see where I
              > had read it, but then realized that I got the story from John Gable, who is,
              > unfortunately, no longer with us.
              >

              > Best,
              >
              > Linda

            • chiponthecape
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
                Garry - This is a great lead. Thanks much. Chip