1903 presidential train cars

  • melasbur
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2012
      During TR's 1903 western tour, Pullman and the PRR gave him use of six cars. I am interested in finding out what happened to any of these cars, but particularly the Elysian, the private Pullman car used by TR. The other cars were the Gilsey dining car, The Atlantic - a combination smoker and baggage car, the Senegal - a Pullman sleeper, and the Texas - a Pullman car for the White House executives. The sixth car was a baggage car. These were pulled by locomotive 2408.

      The PRR also provided a tourist agent for the entire tour, a John F. McCoy. Any information on any of these cars, the locomotive, or J.F. McCoy would be appreciated.
    • Jonathan Arnold
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2012
        There are a number of letters  (with dates, although only one from 1903) relating to F R McCoy listed in the _Index to the Theodore Roosevelt Papers_ Vol. II, page 712. The letters themselves, as you may know, are available on microfilm.

        I hope this helps your quest.

        Regards

        Dr Jonathan Arnold