MInutes from Cabinet Meeting

  • historynursing
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012
      Were there ever any records or minutes taken when TR's Cabinet Meetings met? I am looking particularly about any records from the November-December 1906 time period. Thank you.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012

        TR's Presidential Papers are at the Library of Congress.  If any minutes were taken at the meetings, they would be there.  http://www.loc.gov/index.html

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012
          Hi History Nursing,

          If you're looking for something interesting, such as the shipment of $22
          million in Japanese gold in September 1905 to France, and TR's cover
          story that bank's were calling in their short term loans (in order to
          pay Japan) to send money to the interior for crops - to preserve market
          stability. See: http://www.rms-republic.com/details_expnimp3.html

          Or the loss of $800k in GWF funds on board the RMS Republic on January
          24, 1909, and the cover up of that fact to preserve both his legacy, but
          more importantly, political stability in Europe, you will find that the
          example below of TR's diplomatic style is, indeed, correct. (My book on
          this will come out the end of this year.)

          In discussing Theodore Roosevelt’s diplomatic style, in his Pulitzer
          Prize winning book Theodore Rex, author Edmund Morris writes
          (referencing Marks' Velvet on Iron):

          “There is not a cloud on the horizon at present … not the slightest
          chance of trouble with a foreign power.”

          "With these bland words, Theodore Roosevelt revealed – or, rather,
          further concealed- an unguessed aspect of his character; namely, that of
          the covert diplomat practicing Louis XV’s secret du roi. Foreign policy
          was, he acknowledged, “the subject on which I feel deepest.” The very
          depth of his feeling convinced him that negotiations, in times of
          crisis, should be private and verbal, hence undocumented. …
          "The full extent of the [1902 Venezuelan] crisis would have to be
          inferred circumstantially, from an extraordinary void in the archives of
          three nations- deletion after deletion hinting at some vanished
          enormity, a painted-out battle of Titans visible in pentimento through
          layers of pale wash." Edmund Morris, Theodore Rex, Random House, 2001,
          177." See also 210, “So were loyal archivists. On both sides of the
          Atlantic defoliation of records began …”

          Regards,

          Martin