TR Speech at Osawatomie, KS

  • John Willson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2012
      Before everyone gets carried away with the comparisons between TR's speech at Osawatomie, KS in 1910 and President Obama's speech in the same locale in 2011, we should note some contrasting remarks of TR in earlier times (1897).*

                " .... the first lesson to teach the poor man is that, as a whole, the wealth in the community is     distinctly beneficial to him; that he is better off in the long run because other men are well off and that the surest way to destroy what measure of prosperity he may have is to paralyze industry and the well-being of those men who have achieved success."

               " The worst lesson that can be taught a man is to rely upon others and to whine over his sufferings. If an American is to amount to anything he must rely upon himself, and not upon the State; he must take pride in his own work, instead of sitting idle to envy the luck of others; he must face life with resolute courage, win victory if he can, and accept defeat if he must, without seeking to place on his fellow-men a responsibility which is not theirs."

             * "How Not to Help Our Poor Brother", Chapter X, American Ideals

      I admit that time and situations change and that individual's beliefs also change, but I believe that ALL of the available information must be taken into account to gain a true perpective of any individual. We can not pick and choose to support our own viewpoints.

      John E. Willson
    • Harry Lembeck

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2012
          All

          My point in commenting on Obama's speech was really not by way of comparison - but rather just to note TR's continued influence and relevance in the polical discourse of our time. He's quoted by far right and far left and all across the political spectrum and why - because TR, himself - WAS all over the political spectrum! The evolution (some would say the de-evolution) of his political views from right to left is quite an interesting study, in itself. Some saw him only as a demagogue and dangerous opportunist. Where WAS the "real" TR, on the IN-side, where it counts? I think this is an interesting topic, in itself.

          Keith