Happy New Year

  • kuniegel@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2012
      My wish for our Country is that we enjoy a Happy New Year. "

      I have indulged myself over the past week by taking time to read a book that Theodore Roosevelt loved to read as a child and beyond. This book was The Deerslayer, by James Fenimor Cooper. The novel was part of Cooper's series, The Leatherstocking Tales and was set in the mid-1700s. It tells a wild, savage story about man and unforgiving nature. It is an adventure story, to be sure, but also a perspective on the primitive conditions in the undeveloped frontier areas of the former British colonies out of which the United States and Canada were formed. The book may have kindled a common bond of respect with the main character in the novel. The first selection below from the book, in my opinion, is that which is not easily obtained. The second selection is that which is not easily overcome.

      "Truth was the Deerslayer's polar star. He ever kept it in view, and it was nearly impossible for him to avoid uttering it, even when prudence demanded silence."

      "We live in a world of transgressions and selfishness, and no pictures that represent us otherwise can be true, though, happily, for human nature, gleamings of that pure spirit in whose likeness man has been fashioned are to be seen, relieving its deformities, and mitigating if not excusing its crimes."