From the Great-grand daughter of TR's Maine hunting Guide -

  • SimonATL
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2011
      Note to our members: The Yahoo TR/M site puts this out for informational purposes only and this post does not constitute an endorsement. I posted it to this site because of Ms. Davidge's direct connection to Theodore Roosevelt via his ancestor, Bill Sewall.

      Hi TR Enthusiasts!

      I am Donna Sewall Davidge, the great granddaughter of one of TR's 2 Maine hunting guides, Bill Sewall.

      A little bit about me- I purchased my great grandfather William Sewall's home in 1997 to keep the historic legacy alive. Joe Wiegand has visited several times and Roger Di Silvestro as well. I think David McCulloch may have even met my great Aunt Nancy Sewall Cunningham when writing Mornings on Horseback and Edmund Morris mentions how TR trekked through Maine with my great grandfather. The wind turbines are another issue- they do NOT belong in this beautiful historic place. I have included a recent editorial piece on this from a local paper here.

      My house is in the National Registry and we get people coming by asking for tours who have read Andrew Vietze's award winning book on TR and my great grandfather. Down East and other publications have written about this history for years.

      We are interested in preventing the installation of gigantic wind fans at the top of the majestic mountains of northern Maine. We are asking you to consider helping us stop these actions by appealing to the Maine Department of Energy and Power (DEP). I do not ask for this site's endorsement of any particular activity. This is for info purposes only.

      You can decide for yourself if you should support our efforts. For any of the networks that you have the two things that would greatly help is signing our petition, which already has our goal of 500 (in a week). Because of that and the over 50 letters they have received the DEP is now waiting until early January to make their decision on this project. In speaking to others who have had this happen in their communities it would be terrible for the wildlife not just the humans for this to happen- and its impact on the scenery of this pristine historic lake (ranked 1A by the State for this quality).

      For any email that know of we would appreciate it if anyone interested could consider our petition, which already has our goal of 500 (in a week). Because of that and the over 50 letters they have received the DEP is now waiting until early January to make their decision on this project. In speaking to others who have had this happen in their communities it would be terrible for the wildlife not just the humans for this to happen- and its impact on the scenery of this pristine historic lake (ranked 1A by the State for this quality).

      http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-maine-dep-stop-oakfield-wind

      Any emails to DEP should go to Jessica.damon@... asking her to keep the scenery intact in this historical region. (and if they have ever visited it, to mention that..but even if they have not that is fine as they know the historical significance).

      Please let me know what action you are able to take and ask people to cc me on letters to Jessica if they would like to be on our e-list to be kept abreast of this.

      we also will have our website completed soon...it is live and you can view it here
      http://www.protect-our-lakes.org/Protect-Our-Lakes/Home.html

      and lastly this link- TR's letter about staying in our home and area-

      http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/history/biblepoint/letter.htm

      Every voice counts,

      thank you
      Donna Sewall Davidge

      EDITORIAL............

      Mt. Desert Islander, November 17, 2011

      Impacts of Wind Power – Editorial

      Wind power has been touted by may "green" enthusiasts as the answer to Maine's energy needs. But increasingly, Mainers are recognizing that using wind to generate electricity is not without its own environmental and other problems.
      In Brooksville last week, voters adopted an ordinance place tight controls on commercial wind energy development, limiting tower height to 100 feet and setting a maximum sound level at 35 decibels.
      Rumford voters approved a wind ordinance addressing compliance issues and providing a level of protection for people living close to potential wind developments.
      More and more, Mainers are recognizing the need for controls on the proliferation of wind turbines extending 400 and 500 feet into the air along Maine's mountain ridges and the hundreds of miles of new transmission lines carved through the forests.
      So far, not a scintilla of evidence has been produced to suggest that Maine's electricity bills will be lowered by the increased use of wind power. In fact, wind industry officials have acknowledged that they cannot compete with low natural gas prices, which are forecast to remain low and stable for years to come.
      Wind turbines also will require sources of new conventional generating capacity to ensure that there are other options when the wind isn't blowing.
      "Mane people need to consider the high impact of developing wind projects and do their homework regarding the low benefit of generating expensive electricity by this method," asserts Chris O'Neil, president of Friends of Maine Mountains.
      We say "amen" to that.