Re: [tr-m] TR in a Jiu Jitsu Gi

  • Harry Lembeck
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
      The best first move always is to check the many pictures in the TR collection at Harvard.  But my guess is this would be such an unusual, almost eccentric, picture, I'm sure we all would have seen it by now.  Good luck.

      Harry
      On Oct 30, 2011, at 10:39 PM, Robert G Rafael Guber wrote:

      First of all I want to thank all who have contributed to our collective knowledge on TR.

      I have what may be esoteric question, but then again, for this group maybe not.

      I wonder if there are any known photographs of TR wearing a traditional Jiu-Jitsu Gi?  I know he practiced Jiu Jitsu in the White House mostly in 1904 with Yamashita Yoshiaki and others as well. Some theorists say he did it to lose weight and also to revitalize his manly image during the presidential campaign. If the later is true it stands to reason that he was photographed during his practice sessions to generate positive PR.

      Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on this?

      Thanks

      Rafael Guber

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011

        As far as I know, he was never photographed in a Gi.  His main reason for stuying Jiu-Jitsu was he was looking for exercise that was less dangerous than mountain climbing, etc.  He felt is was his duty to the American people not to engage in pursuits that might kill him.  Don't forget, he lost the vision in one eye during boxing in the White House.

        First of all I want to thank all who have contributed to our collective knowledge on TR.

        I have what may be esoteric question, but then again, for this group maybe not.

        I wonder if there are any known photographs of TR wearing a traditional Jiu-Jitsu Gi?  I know he practiced Jiu Jitsu in the White House mostly in 1904 with Yamashita Yoshiaki and others as well. Some theorists say he did it to lose weight and also to revitalize his manly image during the presidential campaign. If the later is true it stands to reason that he was photographed during his practice sessions to generate positive PR.

        Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on this?

        Thanks

        Rafael Guber

      • Robert G Rafael Guber

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
            Thanks for the reply. I have a friendi Japan who is looking for me on the chance that it may be in a private collection.