[tr-m] conservation

  • Mary Beth Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2000
      In 1908 he said:
      In the past we have admitted the right of the individual to injure the
      future of the Republic for his own present profit. The time has come for a
      change. As a people we have the right and the duty, second to none other
      but the right and duty of obeying the moral law, of requiring and doing
      justice, to protect ourselves and our children against the wasteful
      development of our natural resources.

      Dr. Charles Van Hise, conservationist, geologist and president of the
      University of Wisconsisn from 1903 to 1918, wrote two years after Roosevelt
      left the presidency:
      He has been severely criticized by many, warmly commended by others, but his
      agressive action for the conservation of our resources has been commended by
      all parties alike...what he did to forward this movement...will place him
      not only as one of the greatest statesmen of this nation but one of the
      greatest statesmen of any nation of any time. (William Harbaugh, Power and
      Responsibility, pp. 318-319)

      Referring to the signing of the Agricultural Appropriations bills into law,
      he said (with transparent glee) "the friends of the special interests in the
      Senate" had been outwitted. "The opponents of the forest service turned
      handsprings in their wrath, and dire were their threats against the
      Executive; but the threats could not be carried out, and were really only a
      tribute to the efficiency of our action."

      At the time he said, "Failure on my part to sign these proclamations would
      mean that immense tracts of valuable timber would fall into the hands of the
      lumber syndicates." This refers to Pinchott's office force figuring out
      what forest lands to proclaim as National Forests during the 10 days
      Roosevelt had before he had to sign the Agricultural Appropriations bill
      which would have prevented protection of millions of acres of forest lands.
      (Harbaugh, p. 312.)

      Visit http://freeworld.excite.com