Future Directions and Developments of Yahoo Groups

  • SimonATL
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2011
      Kuniegel

      All members of this group get all messages. Most of our members are incredibly busy with their careers and respective lives. As one of the moderators, I'd like to see more contributions by members.

      The emergence of social media such as MySpace, Twitter, Facebook and other sites have changed the entire collaborative computing paradigm. Facebook has emerged as the most popular forum. Facebook now has a group structure for discussions and sharing of information. The Yahoo Group approach to all of this has not really evolved. I think that this is a tragedy. One of the reasons for this lack of development is is that Yahoo hasn't developed a good model to use these groups commercially to make money. Since there is no apparent revenue stream from most Yahoo groups, Yahoo has no incentive to make the Group model any better. While Yahoo has had yahoo.com members in the millions, many times larger than the early Facebook and MySpace days, and these groups have been around more than 15 years, Yahoo just never used their creative resources to take both its Yahoo messenger base or groups to that next level. Yahoo was a full decade ahead of both Facebook and MySpace, but never capitalized on their substantial lead. The services they did provide were no competition for the developing social media outlets and their "improvements" were largely reactive and tepid at best.

      I continue to support this site because of its current members. I am looking at other forums. I am a moderator on the Facebook Theodore Roosevelt Association group site and I think this Yahoo approach just doesn't reach nearly as wide an audience as it should. If you look at the professional associations group, www.linkedin.com you see the same ongoing development in this whole social media thing.

      If anyone has an idea for better forums than Yahoo, I, for one am all ears. Until something better can be identified, we'll use this site.

      I appreciate any relevant contributions by our members. As we approach the next US Presidential election cycle, once again, the example of TR as the fully prepared and fully effective political leader looms large once again.

      Keith Simon
      for the moderators