Mark Twain on TR

  • Mark Arend
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      I'm reading the first volume of Mark Twain's recently published
      "Autobiography" (a "damned thick square book" but lots of fun to
      read). In his dictation of 10 January 1906 (pp. 254 - 260) he has an
      interesting character study of TR, about 1/3 complementary and 2/3 critical.

      I see in the index that there are other mentions of TR but I haven't
      jumped ahead to read them yet.

      Mark Arend
      Oshkosh Wisc.

      Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
      too dark to read.
      ---Groucho Marx
    • kuniegel@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        Mark Thanks so much for the email. You are in fact the first person that has contacted me that I did not know about TR American Patriot. TR liked Samuel Clemens as an author But there was some controversy with Clemens over TR's hunting.  Clemens said TR was blood thirsty. But where Clemens was an armchair critics TR promoted game laws and helped save the buffalo for extinction and hundreds of birds and other mammals. There are plenty of people that had things to say about TR. He admits he made errors but would not hesitate a second in admitting an error if he was convinced that an error was made. I believe one of Twain's arguments was that it was an error to kill the biggest animals that it degraded the species. Maybe he was right on this subject. TR did modify some hunting but at the end of the day ask yourself who did more for wildlife? TR or Twain. It is not even a close call TR. Keep in touch and let be know what you find when you complete your book. I am interested in knowing.

        One side note Twain was close friends with Nicolia Tesla. Tesla invented the Radio, the electric motor and and battled with Thomas Edison over AC and DC power. Edison wanted DC Tesla wanted to harness the power for Niagra Fall but DC power could not be transmitted long distances. TR was friends with Edison. No where in any communications did TR ever mention Tesla even though he lived in New York City. Just a few facts that you may or may not be interested in. If you do not know much about Tesla he is a very interesting person that has also contributed to makeing our lives better. He helped push the country into AC power but paid a price.

        Bob K.

        I'm reading the first volume of Mark Twain's recently published
        "Autobiography" (a "damned thick square book" but lots of fun to
        read). In his dictation of 10 January 1906 (pp. 254 - 260) he has an
        interesting character study of TR, about 1/3 complementary and 2/3 critical.

        I see in the index that there are other mentions of TR but I haven't
        jumped ahead to read them yet.

        Mark Arend
        Oshkosh Wisc.

        Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
        too dark to read.
        ---Groucho Marx

      • Robert G Rafael Guber