Edmund Morris

  • rollinswrites@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2011
      Commentary from Barbara Meade, owner of Politics & Prose bookstore in Washington, DC, indicating that she presented a copy of Colonel Roosevelt to President Obama

      http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qkazh9cab&v=001-jHgZ8K8LRLqu2mAHQNGAhRwT4ZcuyG9OfLpUDXUDEE2TFZcMSbNDH_xkJgTUAX_tTv1Fxhl3kpO3TrsTgMIj3bp3gFaua2Jb45Cvzslh8I_a8YsqJ5j-w%3D%3D

      LETTER FROM BARBARA

      President Barak ObamaA week doesn't get much better for Politics & Prose than last week. Tuesday night some surprised customers arrived at the store to find a reception in full swing for some 300 booksellers from around the country who had come to Washington for the American Booksellers Association's Winter Institute. We tried to wow them with a bevy of local authors, and the booksellers loved seeing and talking to so many writers in the flesh. Among the literary scribes, we had Jim Lehrer, Kate Lehrer, Roger Rosenblatt, George Pelecanos, Rick Atkinson, David Maraniss, Howard Norman, Joan Nathan, Adam Cheuse, Jane Leavey, Louis Bayard, Wil Haygood, Susan Shreve, Mary Kay Zuravleff, Clarence Lusane, Judith Warner, and Aviva Kempner.

      Thursday, we went to the White House!!! Oren Teicher, the CEO of the American Booksellers Association, nine of its board members, and I went for an ll a.m. appointment with President Obama to present book gifts to the White House Library. I was somewhat overwhelmed by the whole event, from the moment President Obama opened the Oval Office door and invited us in. The minute I introduced myself, he said,"POLITICS AND PROSE?, I know that store!!!" I brought Edmund Morris's new biography, Colonel Roosevelt, to the President who thanked me, remarking that he looked forward to reading it as he had already enjoyed the first two volumes. Others gave books that they hoped would appeal to Mrs. Obama, Malia, and Sasha.

      The President described the great pleasure he had experienced in reading The Life of Pi aloud to Malia at an earlier age. Before we left the Oval Office, he handed each of us a signed copy of his The Audacity of Hope, and said, "Now I don't want to find you selling these on eBay."