RE: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Eye Glasses - Specs - Where are they?

  • Larry Bodine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011

      Just how nearsighted was he?

      Larry Bodine, Esq.

      Member, Chicago Bull Moose Chapter

      Trustee, Theodore Roosevelt Association

      Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

      630.942.0977

      Lbodine@...

      http://www.ChicagoBullMoose.com

      Green TRA logo100

      From: tr-m@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tr-m@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Linda E. Milano
      Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 00:34
      To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Eye Glasses - Specs - Where are they?

      I believe there is a pair on display at the Old Orchard Museum at Sagamore Hill.  I also seem to recall that there was a set of lenses - the glasses were being made when TR died and they were never finished.

      One reason for the dearth of surviving glasses is that when visitors came to Sagamore Hill after TR died, they would tell Edith how much they admired her husband and she would give them something of his - a pair of his glasses, for example.

      Hope this helps,

      Linda Milano

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
        VERY - he realized it when he got his first gun. He spent an entire day shooting and didn't hit anything.  That's when his father thought to get his eyes checked.  Be loved to study birds and birdsong, but once he got his glasses he began to birdwatch.

        Best
        Linda Milano

        Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011

          All

          I uploaded a photo of TR reading a book - close up.
          See our photos section - Theodore Roosevelt" also located here:

          Keith