Re: [tr-m] TR and the West

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2002
      According to what he said later in life, it was TR's
      view that his time in the West democratized him and
      taught him relate to individuals as just that,
      individuals, regardless of class. In this I would say
      his Dakota days were indeed instrumental in shaping
      his character. All best, --- Ed Renehan

      --- Jeremy Johnston <Johnstoe@...> wrote:
      > It has been a while since we had a good debate, so I
      > thought I would
      > start one for the group. By the way I enjoyed the
      > TR energy debate, the
      > only thing I would add is irregardless of where TR
      > gained his tremendous
      > energy we do have to credit him for channeling it
      > into so many
      > productive areas.
      >
      > My question: I was wondering how members of the
      > group would
      > characterize TR's western experiences in the Dakota
      > Badlands? Were they
      > simply romantic interludes in TR's life or were they
      > instrumental in
      > shaping TR's future life and career?
      >
      > I was just reading the Pringle biography and he
      > seems to dismiss TR's
      > western trips as a simple escape, yet other
      > biographers portray TR's
      > experiences in the West as a live changing event
      > (myself being a
      > westerner, this is the direction I lean towards).

      =====
      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
      ejren@...
      http://renehan.net

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Vince Liberto
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2002
        Mrs. Derby, TR's great-great grand daughter, claims
        that without TR's experiences in the West (the
        Dakotas), he would "never have been President."

        He arose out of the West rekindled and revived. No
        doubt.

        I like to think that his experiences there gave him an
        entirely new lease on life. The hard work and the
        riding, and especially the way he mixed with people
        from a very different background, how could one not be
        changed?

        He needed such an experience in the wake of the
        tragedies he confronted in losing his mother and wife
        on the same day in the same house.

        I often reflect on this episode. How does one
        encounter such a tragedy and carry on? How does one
        have the leisure to do something of the same? What
        would one do that would give one the strength to carry
        on? Or, as TR did, what would one do to use those
        terrible tragedies, turn those terrible tragedies
        around, and have them become a springboard in which
        those experiences would allow him to better serve
        others, to better serve the public?

        I am sure TR was familiar with the words of
        Shakespeare: "Nothing is good or bad, but thinking
        them so makes them so." Or perhaps he really heard
        Lincoln when he said: "Most people are about as happy
        as they make up their minds to be."

        Go Saints Go!
        Vince Liberto
        New Orleans