Re: Researching TR's relationship with Kaiser Wilhelm - Appreciate any info

  • SimonATL
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25, 2010
      John

      Thanks for your suggestions.
      I have read and taken detailed notes on the excellent book you mentioned, "THEODORE ROOSEVELT AND THE INTERNATIONAL RIVALRIES" but have only glimpsed at sections of the other book, "THEODORE ROOSEVELT AND THE RISE OF AMERICA TO WORLD POWER"

      Keith

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, John Willson <jjwillsos@...> wrote:

      > Keith:
      >
      > Two sources you might find useful. I don't know that they will be helpful or
      > that you may already have searched them, but here goes:
      >
      >  THEODORE ROOSEVELT AND THE RISE OF AMERICA TO WORLD POWER. Howard K. Beale.
      > Baltimore. Johns Hopkins  Press. 1956. Particularly Chapter VI.
      >

      >  THEODORE ROOSEVELT AND  THE INTERNATIONAL RIVALRIES. Raymond A. Esthus.
      > Claremont, CA. Regina Books. 1970.
      >
      > Good luck with your research.
      >
      > John Willson
      >

      > ________________________________

    • George
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2010
        Hi, Keith.

        The following quote comes from my book "Archie: The Life of Major Archibald Butt from Georgia to the Titanic." The discussion in question took place during the meeting between Taft and TR that took place at Beverly on June 10, 1910:
        ------------------------------------

        From that point onward the topics of conversation ran a wide gamut, and Colonel Roosevelt discussed lion hunting, the similarity of the grounds of the Summer White House to those of the country estate of Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany, his recent experiences in England as the President's representative at the funeral of King Edward, his journey to Oyster Bay through the snowbound countryside on President Taft's inauguration day, and the huge amount of legislation that had been passed during Mr. Taft's administration. "He was in his best vein," Archie recalled, "and I never heard him more witty, more humorous, and more incisive than on this occasion. The President told Norton, who had never met him before, that he had seen him and heard him in his very best vein."

        When the discussion turned to Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany, President Taft asked Roosevelt if he thought the Kaiser was intent on war with England. "No, I don't think so..." TR replied. "... He assured me that there was nothing further from his mind or that of the German people. In fact, he told me that he loved England next to Germany...." Roosevelt said that Wilhelm, who was very vain, was disappointed that England did not "make a fuss over him," and he added that the German emperor wanted Germany "to unite with the United States and England and form a compact to guarantee the peace of the world." Roosevelt also stated that, even if Wilhelm wanted to stop building warships for his navy, the German people would not allow him to do it.

        "Then you don't look for much advance in the universal-peace plan?" President Taft asked TR, who he was considering appointing as the head of an American contingent to an international peace conference.
        "No, I don't..." Roosevelt replied. "In fact, as long as Germany builds ships, England will continue to do so. Germany says she wants as many as England, and England says she must, on account of her colonies, keep just so far ahead of Germany, and there you are."

        I hope this information will be helpful to you, Keith.

        All my best,

        George
      • SimonATL
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2010
          George

          Thanks for an excellent insight.
          TR (and most everyone in the know) were aware that Britain would never allow Germany to catch up to her in ship building. In deed, the Kaiser wanted a 3-to-2 ratio but Britain insisted on a 4-3 ratio. ALL of the Kaiser's billions in German marks toward ships was only utilized in the Battle of Jutland and then the bulk of the entire mass of new German battleships and cruisers were deliberately scuttled off of Scapa Flow rather than turn them over to the British.

          Keith