After Action - Florida Theodore Roosevelt Assoc Chapter - October Meeting - TRA

  • SimonATL
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2010

      We had our last meeting of the TRA South Miami informal group (Not yet a chapter) in Hallandale, FL, north of Miami last Thursday.

      Discussions. We discussed a number of ideas for moving the organization forward.

      1. Using conference call or Citrix's "GoToMeeting" technology for next meeting.  We talked about the difficulty of people from such a large area as south Florida trying to drive 1 or more hours to a weeknight meeting and the benefits of some of the modern phone and web conference tools.

      2. Roving monthly virtual meetings.
      We discussed the idea of moving the monthly meetings to set places in the South Florida region and having people who are not within 45-60 minutes attend by the above method.

      3. Monthly vs. Quartely TRA-SF Fixed Agenda/events. We discussed the idea of having a quarterly meeting on a Saturday focused around a major theme.

      4. Chapter Nickname. We discussed adopting a nickname for the South Florida Chapter, just as in Portand, OR, they call themselves the Rough Rider Chapter (Also Tampa too). Pehaps something associated with Cuba - San Juan Heights Chapter?  Suggestions are encouraged.

      5. Chapter Growth-Expansion outward communication - Getting the word out. Possible target audiences - academics - high school social studies-history teachers, college faculty, regional historical associations, veterans associations.

      6. Theodore Roosevelt Speakers Bureau.  Developing materials and power point/multimedia materials for members to give talks on TR and his times. Pushing down lessson plans to local educational institutions

      7. Book of the quarter talk/discussion.

      8. Guest lecturer/speaker at quarterly meetings - authors, Roosevelt family members. (We can use the nice winter weather of the South Florida area as a draw especially during the Jan-March season.

      9. Bylaws.  We have identified a TRA member from Coral Gables who has expressed an interest in the bylaws. We will schedule a 3-way meeting in a few weeks to discuss.

      10. Date-Location of November meeting.  Location will probably be further south - Miami area.  What do people think of Saturday morning as opposed to Thurs evenings?

      Yahoo Group for South Florida TRA Chapter:

      Keith Simon
      TRASFL Exploratory Chapter Chair
      SimonAmerica@...
      360-901-4708