Kemble Cartoon

  • John Willson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2010
      I recently purchased a cartoon by E.W. Kemble from the July 15, 1905 issue of Collier's . It depicts TR as an artist sitting on a stool with brush and pallet in hand. He is painting a picture of a man clothed as an angel and complete with halos and wings. The inscription on the painting reads "My dear friend Santa Fe" and is signed " T. R." . There is a blank easel in the background that is marked "This canvas is reserved for my friend Loomis." The cartoon is labeled "The Administration's Hall of Fame." Underneath that is a poem that reads "O wad some power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as (some) ithers see us!"
      I know that "Loomis" probably refers to F.B. Loomis who was Assistant Secretary of State about that time but, beyond that, I don't
      have any idea about the meaning of the cartoon.
      Could anyone help me to decipher?
      John Willson