Theodore Roosevelt Class

  • jmgallen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010

      I will be teaching a continuing ed class in St. Louis on Wednesday, February 10.

      Is TR the only president to have a son killed in action?  I cannot remember any others.

      Thanks!

      Jim Gallen

      Home Improvement Projects
      Improve your home. Click for products, services, and project ideas.

    • Michele Bryant

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2010
            I worked with Doug Wead on the section on Alice Roosevelt Longworth.  I would be careful.  As far as children of presidents being in the military, it would be factual.  However, we went back and forth a bit - he ignored or mis-stated some facts on Alice in order to prove his (flawed) point.

            Best,
            Linda Milano

            On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 05:25:08 GMT "jmgallen@juno. com" <JMGallen@Juno. com> writes:

            I will be teaching a continuing ed class in St. Louis on Wednesday, February 10.

            Is TR the only president to have a son killed in action?  I cannot remember any others.

            Thanks!

            Jim Gallen

            Home Improvement Projects
            Improve your home. Click for products, services, and project ideas.

            Get Free Email with Video Mail Video Chat!

          • Ken Messina
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2010
              I know a grandson of a former President ( William Henry Harrison) was killed at Gettysburg,  Picketts Charge.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 17, 2010
                TR's son's suicide was related to life-long depression and alcoholism. Some biographers say that Kermit Roosevelt never recovered psychologically from TR's death. Kermit wrote about his devastation at his father's death and that he had lost his anchor. By WW-II, Kermit was often in a sad way from alcoholism. He volunteered for service in the British Army as he had in WW-I in Iraq but his condition was so deteriorated that me was medically discharged by the British Army. Using family connections with Franklin Roosevelt he got picked up by the US Army but they sent him to Alaska in order to avoid any embarassing alcohol-related incidents. Essentially marooned and isolated in Alaska with no meaningful work, that depression kicked in again and he spoke of the "peace" that a bulled from a Colt .45 automatic pistol could bring him after many tortured years. Yeilding to this impulse he pulled the trigger and is still buried in Alaska. His mother, Edith was falsely told that he had died of a heart attack as had his brother Ted in Normandy, France. She went to her grave not knowing that he had taken his own life. A tragic end to a tragic life. Kermit had incredible intellectual gifts. Mastered Arabic in only one year in Iraq and was an excellent writer and thinker. Unfortunately, he found little solace for his tortured soul. Today, people have access to medical services for depression, of course, but in those days, men were just expected to "buck up" and "take it" and "endure." My heart goes out to this gentle soul who was seldom able to control the demons that raged in him. While Kermit's father, TR said, "Black (despairing) care seldom keeps pace with a rider whose pace is fast enough," Kermit's pace was NOT fast enough and it eventually overtook him. May he rest in peace and I know a loving God judges all with righteous judgement and leave him in God's hands. Amen.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2010
                  Besides the alcoholism, Kermit had also lost a thumb to cancer, and he and his wife had separated.

                  The post at Fort Richardson was so boring that some of the men actually gave themselves circumcisions in order to pass the time.

                  He was buried at Fort Richardson in Alaska - the Roosevelt family tradition is to "bury them where they fell."  Quentin was buried where his plane crashed during World War I - until after World War II when his body was moved to be next to his brother Ted in the WW II American cemetery in Normandy.  He is still the only WW I soldier buried in that cemetery - Ted's widow Eleanor Alexander Roosevelt was on the cemetery committee.

                • dcunning@suffolk.lib.ny.us
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17, 2010
                    I can't imagine being THAT bored.
                    I would think Ted's death a month after Normandy would count, if
                    somewhat delayed.
                    Didn't find any other references other than one about Zachary Taylor's
                    son falling from his horse and dying but could not verify elsewhere.
                    If the Continental Congress' 'president' (John Hanson) counts, he had
                    two sons die in battle.
                    Good luck!

                    --
                    Deborah Clark Cunningham-Head of Adult Reference
                    Harborfields Public Library
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 17, 2010
                      Actually, Ted had been hospitalized for a heart attack before Normandy, which was why he had to pull strings to get himself included in the Invasion.  Plus, the night before he died, his son Quentin visited him.  He told Quentin that he had been having a series of minor heart attacks but didn't want it to be known for fear that they would take him off the front lines.

                      Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:45 AM
                      Subject: Re: [tr-m] Re: Theodore Roosevelt Class