RE: [tr-m] Re: Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?

  • Henry Hendrix
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
      I have photo copies of the documents in question from the Roosevelt Collection at both the Widenor and Houghton Libraries at Harvard.  I gathered them back in 03/04 when I was doing the primary document research for my dissertation.  The whole middle name thing was a point of curiosity for me and I just grabbed what I could at the time.
      VR
      Henry

      To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
      From: RoginaJ@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:41:36 -0500
      Subject: RE: [tr-m] Re: Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?

      PS. This is the reason many Professors do not allow research from Wiki.  That said, all kinds of things can get published, even in books, and those too may be wrong.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
        Jerry, if you have digital copies of the documents, you might be able to upload them to your Facebook page to let the rest of us take a look at them...

        Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

        Keith

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@ ...> wrote:

        > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.) had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).
        >
        > VR
        >
        > Jerry Hendrix
        >

        > To: tr-m@yahoogroups. com
        > From: harrylembeck@ ...
        > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
        > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?
        >

        > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.
        >

        > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
        >

        > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
        > I've never heard of this one, but.....
        > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
        > http://books. google.com/ books?id= SjYAAAAAMAAJ& pg=PA163& lpg=PA163
        > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America , 1916
        > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
        > Author: Elias Benjamin
        > Page 162
        > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
        > Keith Simon - Moderator

        > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 196390708/ direct/01/

      • Rogina L. Jeffries
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010

          Jerry if you have digital copies would you be willing to send them to me for the website?  It would make a nice compliment.

          Rogina