Re: Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?

  • SimonATL
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
      Henry -

      Great info!

      Question.
      Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

      Keith

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

      > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.) had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).
      >
      > VR
      >
      > Jerry Hendrix
      >

      > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
      > From: harrylembeck@...
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?
      >

      > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.
      >

      > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
      >

      > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
      > I've never heard of this one, but.....
      > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
      > http://books.google.com/books?id=SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163
      > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America , 1916
      > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
      > Author: Elias Benjamin
      > Page 162
      > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
      > Keith Simon - Moderator

    • Rogina L. Jeffries
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

        Hi there,

                    You would think that with the countless pages written about TR, that if he had a middle name, someone would have mentioned it.  It would also have been known to his parents and son, don’t you think.

                    John Gable was always quite clear that there was no middle name.

                    It can be hard to document what something is ‘not’.  This is the copy from the TRA website regarding President TR’s son and the name:

        http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/familytree/Trjr.htm:

        What's in a name:

        President Theodore Roosevelt was the son of a man named Theodore Roosevelt. President Roosevelt himself also had a son named Theodore Roosevelt.

        So who is Theodore Roosevelt, Jr? Why?

        When the man who became President Roosevelt was born, his father became Theodore Roosevelt, Sr. and the son Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. When TR's father died in 1878, he dropped the ".Jr" and became simply Theodore Roosevelt.

        But then when TR's son was born, the son became Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. After President Roosevelt died, his son tried to drop the ".Jr" designation just as his father had done. That is what usually happens. Eventually it became clear this would be too confusing to the public and to the children too. He kept the ".Jr" and his son became Theodore Roosevelt, III.

        Confused? See if this helps.

        Theodore Roosevelt, Sr

        father of President Roosevelt

        Theodore Roosevelt

        usually the man who was President

        Theodore Roosevelt, Jr

        usually refers to the son of the President

        Theodore Roosevelt, II

        grandson of the President

        Theodore Roosevelt, IV

        great-grandson of the President

        The first born son and namesake of President Roosevelt, "Ted" lead a very distinguished life in his own right. Ted was the first child of Theodore and his second wife Edith. Remember his father's first wife and older sister Alice's mother had died shortly after childbirth. Ted began following his father's footsteps at a very early age, though father Roosevelt admittedly pushed him a bit too enthusiastically in this direction.

        As a child, Ted was closest to his sister Alice, and they adored each other as playmates and fellow adventurers. Ted spent most of his childhood here in Cove Neck where he explored the woods by day, and enjoyed many nights camping out with his father.

        Like his father before him, Ted attended Harvard, worrying his father by cutting classes, but graduated with excellent grades. He married Eleanor Alexander in 1910 and began his political career with election to the New York Assembly. He later became Assistant Secretary of the Navy. In 1929, Hoover appointed him Governor of Puerto Rico, from which post he was named Governor General of the Philippines.

        He saw active duty in both World War I (receiving the Distinguished Service Cross and the Silver Star) and World War II. As a Brigadier General in World War II, Ted Jr. led the first assault at Normandy. A few weeks later, he died of a heart attack.

        Sincerely,

        Rogina Jeffries

        Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

        Keith

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

        > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.)
        had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).

        > VR
        >
        > Jerry Hendrix
        >

        > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
        > From: harrylembeck@...
        > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
        > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What
        do YOU think?

        > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked
        better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.

        > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
        >

        > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
        > I've never heard of this one, but.....
        > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting
        that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
        > http://books.google.com/books?id=SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163
        > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ
        in America , 1916
        > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
        > Author: Elias Benjamin
        > Page 162
        > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
        > Keith Simon - Moderator

      • Rogina L. Jeffries
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

          PS. This is the reason many Professors do not allow research from Wiki.  That said, all kinds of things can get published, even in books, and those too may be wrong.

          Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

          Keith

          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

          > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.)
          had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).

          > VR
          >
          > Jerry Hendrix
          >

          > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
          > From: harrylembeck@...
          > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
          > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What
          do YOU think?

          > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked
          better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.

          > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
          >

          > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
          > I've never heard of this one, but.....
          > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting
          that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
          > http://books.google.com/books?id=SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163
          > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ
          in America , 1916
          > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
          > Author: Elias Benjamin
          > Page 162
          > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
          > Keith Simon - Moderator

        • Henry Hendrix
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
            I have photo copies of the documents in question from the Roosevelt Collection at both the Widenor and Houghton Libraries at Harvard.  I gathered them back in 03/04 when I was doing the primary document research for my dissertation.  The whole middle name thing was a point of curiosity for me and I just grabbed what I could at the time.
            VR
            Henry

            To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
            From: RoginaJ@...
            Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:41:36 -0500

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
              Jerry, if you have digital copies of the documents, you might be able to upload them to your Facebook page to let the rest of us take a look at them...

              Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

              Keith

              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@ ...> wrote:

              > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.) had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).
              >
              > VR
              >
              > Jerry Hendrix
              >

              > To: tr-m@yahoogroups. com
              > From: harrylembeck@ ...
              > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
              > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?
              >

              > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.
              >

              > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
              >

              > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
              > I've never heard of this one, but.....
              > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
              > http://books. google.com/ books?id= SjYAAAAAMAAJ& pg=PA163& lpg=PA163
              > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America , 1916
              > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
              > Author: Elias Benjamin
              > Page 162
              > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
              > Keith Simon - Moderator

              > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 196390708/ direct/01/

            • Rogina L. Jeffries
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010

                Jerry if you have digital copies would you be willing to send them to me for the website?  It would make a nice compliment.

                Rogina