Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?

  • Harry Lembeck
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
      Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked better.  Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.
      On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:

      Here's an interesting item...  TR's alleged middle initial.

      I've never heard of this one, but.....

      On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:

      http://books. google.com/ books?id= SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163

      Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America , 1916

      Publisher:  S.S. Scranton Company

      Author: Elias Benjamin

      Page 162

      What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?

      Keith Simon - Moderator

    • Mike Purdy
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

        I’ve never heard of TR having any middle name or initial.  I think the citation noted is wrong.  There is no other evidence that I’m aware of that has any kind of middle initial for TR.

        ==Mike

        Author: Elias Benjamin

        Page 162

        What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?

        Keith Simon - Moderator

      • Henry Hendrix
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
          Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.) had a middle name.  A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).
          VR
          Jerry Hendrix

          To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com

          Author: Elias Benjamin

          Page 162

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

            But there’s a lot of history about Truman’s middle initial and whether it stood for anything, and whether it should have a period or no period after it.  With TR, there is no record, other than the one cited, that deals with any middle initial for Roosevelt at all.

            ==Mike

            Author: Elias Benjamin

            Page 162

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
              Interesting...that book was copyrighted in 1916, which means people were trying to give him a middle name even during his lifetime.

              Actually, there was a TDR - Theodore Douglas Robinson, TR's sister Corinne's son.  There are some things which had belonged to him and bearing his initials (a watch that I know of) which have survived and people have mistakenly thought they were TR's.

              Anyway, today people continually confuse TR and FDR, and merging them into one single president known as TDR.  At the TRA offices, I was continually being asked if there were any pictures of TR in his wheelchair, if they could have a videotape (hopefully in color) of him speaking so they could hear his voice, etc.  Had to explain to the poor confused child that TR died ten years before the first talking movie.  There are recordings of his voice, and there is film of him moving, but none of the films have sound - or color.

              And, one more thing...Happy Birthday Harry!!!

              Author: Elias Benjamin

              Page 162

              What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?

              Keith Simon - Moderator

            • Chip Bishop
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

                Could “D” stand for “Delighted?”

                Chip Bishop Communications & Management, Inc.

                Chip@...

                www.ChipBishop.com

                508 398-1997 - Office & Fax

                508 292-2474 - Cell

                44 Cove Road

                West Dennis, MA 02670-2104

                Read my book at www.MyDearBishop.com.

              • SimonATL
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
                  Henry -

                  Great info!

                  Question.
                  Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

                  Keith

                  --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

                  > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.) had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).
                  >
                  > VR
                  >
                  > Jerry Hendrix
                  >

                  > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: harrylembeck@...
                  > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
                  > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?
                  >

                  > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.
                  >

                  > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
                  >

                  > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
                  > I've never heard of this one, but.....
                  > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
                  > http://books.google.com/books?id=SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163
                  > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America , 1916
                  > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
                  > Author: Elias Benjamin
                  > Page 162
                  > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
                  > Keith Simon - Moderator

                • Rogina L. Jeffries
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

                    Hi there,

                                You would think that with the countless pages written about TR, that if he had a middle name, someone would have mentioned it.  It would also have been known to his parents and son, don’t you think.

                                John Gable was always quite clear that there was no middle name.

                                It can be hard to document what something is ‘not’.  This is the copy from the TRA website regarding President TR’s son and the name:

                    http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/familytree/Trjr.htm:

                    What's in a name:

                    President Theodore Roosevelt was the son of a man named Theodore Roosevelt. President Roosevelt himself also had a son named Theodore Roosevelt.

                    So who is Theodore Roosevelt, Jr? Why?

                    When the man who became President Roosevelt was born, his father became Theodore Roosevelt, Sr. and the son Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. When TR's father died in 1878, he dropped the ".Jr" and became simply Theodore Roosevelt.

                    But then when TR's son was born, the son became Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. After President Roosevelt died, his son tried to drop the ".Jr" designation just as his father had done. That is what usually happens. Eventually it became clear this would be too confusing to the public and to the children too. He kept the ".Jr" and his son became Theodore Roosevelt, III.

                    Confused? See if this helps.

                    Theodore Roosevelt, Sr

                    father of President Roosevelt

                    Theodore Roosevelt

                    usually the man who was President

                    Theodore Roosevelt, Jr

                    usually refers to the son of the President

                    Theodore Roosevelt, II

                    grandson of the President

                    Theodore Roosevelt, IV

                    great-grandson of the President

                    The first born son and namesake of President Roosevelt, "Ted" lead a very distinguished life in his own right. Ted was the first child of Theodore and his second wife Edith. Remember his father's first wife and older sister Alice's mother had died shortly after childbirth. Ted began following his father's footsteps at a very early age, though father Roosevelt admittedly pushed him a bit too enthusiastically in this direction.

                    As a child, Ted was closest to his sister Alice, and they adored each other as playmates and fellow adventurers. Ted spent most of his childhood here in Cove Neck where he explored the woods by day, and enjoyed many nights camping out with his father.

                    Like his father before him, Ted attended Harvard, worrying his father by cutting classes, but graduated with excellent grades. He married Eleanor Alexander in 1910 and began his political career with election to the New York Assembly. He later became Assistant Secretary of the Navy. In 1929, Hoover appointed him Governor of Puerto Rico, from which post he was named Governor General of the Philippines.

                    He saw active duty in both World War I (receiving the Distinguished Service Cross and the Silver Star) and World War II. As a Brigadier General in World War II, Ted Jr. led the first assault at Normandy. A few weeks later, he died of a heart attack.

                    Sincerely,

                    Rogina Jeffries

                    Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

                    Keith

                    --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

                    > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.)
                    had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).

                    > VR
                    >
                    > Jerry Hendrix
                    >

                    > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: harrylembeck@...
                    > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
                    > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What
                    do YOU think?

                    > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked
                    better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.

                    > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
                    >

                    > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
                    > I've never heard of this one, but.....
                    > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting
                    that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
                    > http://books.google.com/books?id=SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163
                    > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ
                    in America , 1916
                    > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
                    > Author: Elias Benjamin
                    > Page 162
                    > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
                    > Keith Simon - Moderator

                  • Rogina L. Jeffries
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

                      PS. This is the reason many Professors do not allow research from Wiki.  That said, all kinds of things can get published, even in books, and those too may be wrong.

                      Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

                      Keith

                      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

                      > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.)
                      had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).

                      > VR
                      >
                      > Jerry Hendrix
                      >

                      > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: harrylembeck@...
                      > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
                      > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What
                      do YOU think?

                      > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked
                      better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.

                      > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
                      >

                      > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
                      > I've never heard of this one, but.....
                      > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting
                      that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
                      > http://books.google.com/books?id=SjYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163
                      > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ
                      in America , 1916
                      > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
                      > Author: Elias Benjamin
                      > Page 162
                      > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
                      > Keith Simon - Moderator

                    • Henry Hendrix
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
                        I have photo copies of the documents in question from the Roosevelt Collection at both the Widenor and Houghton Libraries at Harvard.  I gathered them back in 03/04 when I was doing the primary document research for my dissertation.  The whole middle name thing was a point of curiosity for me and I just grabbed what I could at the time.
                        VR
                        Henry

                        To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
                        From: RoginaJ@...
                        Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:41:36 -0500

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
                          Jerry, if you have digital copies of the documents, you might be able to upload them to your Facebook page to let the rest of us take a look at them...

                          Are any of those docs online where they could be referenced or in a book or magazine article? That way I reference them.

                          Keith

                          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@ ...> wrote:

                          > Neither Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nor his father, Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.) had a middle name. A review of his official correspondance upon his swearing in as Governor of New York, Vice President of the United States or as President in Mar. 1905 shows no use of a middle name or initial and his baptismal announcement in the Dutch Reformed church only shows his first and last name (with no Jr oddly enough).
                          >
                          > VR
                          >
                          > Jerry Hendrix
                          >

                          > To: tr-m@yahoogroups. com
                          > From: harrylembeck@ ...
                          > Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:21:24 -0500
                          > Subject: Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's Alleged Middle Initial - D - What do YOU think?
                          >

                          > Maybe it was like Harry S (with no period) Truman, who thought it looked better. Or better yet Roger O. Thornhill, who said the O stood for nothing.
                          >

                          > On Jan 27, 2010, at 11:49 AM, SimonATL wrote:
                          >

                          > Here's an interesting item... TR's alleged middle initial.
                          > I've never heard of this one, but.....
                          > On the Wikipedia article on Theodore Roosevelt, an editor is insisting that TR had a middle initial and keeps putting that initial, "D" back in using the following URL as a reference:
                          > http://books. google.com/ books?id= SjYAAAAAMAAJ& pg=PA163& lpg=PA163
                          > Title: Origin and History of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America , 1916
                          > Publisher: S.S. Scranton Company
                          > Author: Elias Benjamin
                          > Page 162
                          > What sayest the assembled multitude of TR-interested folks on this site?
                          > Keith Simon - Moderator

                          > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 196390708/ direct/01/

                        • Rogina L. Jeffries
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010

                            Jerry if you have digital copies would you be willing to send them to me for the website?  It would make a nice compliment.

                            Rogina