Teddy Roosevelt and the Ghostly Mistletoe

  • G Rollins
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2009

      Dear Friends,

      I want to make you aware of the world premiere of a Kennedy Center-commissioned children’s musical, Teddy Roosevelt and the Ghostly Mistletoe, with songs by political satirist Mark Russell. The Capital Area Chapter hasn’t quite come up with a group date when we might attend this show together, but we might still manage to. Anyway, here’s a link to the performance calendar: http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?fuseaction=showevent&event=KKTBB , and below is a snippet about the show from the Washington Post.

      Kind regards,

      Genna Rollins

      'Teddy Roosevelt and the Ghostly Mistletoe' at Kennedy Center

      Thursday, December 3, 2009

      As American presidents go, Teddy Roosevelt is always a crowd-pleaser, especially when the crowd is a bunch of curious kids. The 26th president turned up in the movie "Night at the Museum" in 2006, the same year that Washington area children saw him at the Kennedy Center in the musical "Teddy Roosevelt and the Treasure of Ursa Major." And now he's back for a sequel, "Teddy Roosevelt and the Ghostly Mistletoe." In this play at the Kennedy Center , T.R. -- always the environmentalist -- br eaks the news to his three children that there will be no live Christmas tree in the White House as long as he lives there. But Ethel, Kermit and Archie have their own ideas. Inspired by Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol," their adventures are recommended for children age 7 or older. But the show isn't just for kids; political satirist Mark Russell wrote the songs.

      -- Emily Langer