A Good Biography on Theodore Roosevelt - Recommendations

  • Leslie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2009
      Hi All -

      I've become interested in Theodore Roosevelt thru someone some of you might know, Keith Simon.

      Can anyone suggest a good place to start as far as a biography on Roosevelt?

      Keith has mentioned a number of them, but I'm a little confused and don't really have the time to read all 20 of them that he suggested!

      Thanks
      Leslie
    • jmgallen@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2009

        I have found The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex, both by Edmund Morris and Theodore Roosevelt, a Life, by Nathan Miller to be good and to give the reader an excellent introduction to his life.

        Jim Gallen

        I've become interested in Theodore Roosevelt thru someone some of you might know, Keith Simon.

        Can anyone suggest a good place to start as far as a biography on Roosevelt?

        Keith has mentioned a number of them, but I'm a little confused and don't really have the time to read all 20 of them that he suggested!

        Thanks
        Leslie

        Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!

      • jmgallen@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2009

          You can find my reviews at:

          http://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Roosevelt-Life-Nathan-Miller/product-reviews/0688067840/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

          http://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Roosevelt-Modern-Library-Paperbacks/product-reviews/0375756787/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_next_6?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=6&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

          http://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Rex-Edmund-Morris/product-reviews/0394555090/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_7?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=7&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

          Do not start with Henry Pringle's book:

          http://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Roosevelt-Modern-Biography-Pringle/dp/0831757159/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

          Jim Gallen

          I've become interested in Theodore Roosevelt thru someone some of you might know, Keith Simon.

          Can anyone suggest a good place to start as far as a biography on Roosevelt?

          Keith has mentioned a number of them, but I'm a little confused and don't really have the time to read all 20 of them that he suggested!

          Thanks
          Leslie

          Find solutions for your business. Click here and get it done now!

        • Leslie
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2009
            Thank you very much Jim  I'll check those out...

            Leslie

            Glitter Graphics

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
              You could start out with Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough - it places TR in his family context and takes it up to the point where he married his second wife (his first wife died).

              Or the other might be "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris - again, not about his whole life, it takes him up to the point where he becomes President.

              Those are the best starters I can think of...

              Have fun,

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009

                I concur with Mornings on Horseback.

                Jim Gallen

                I've become interested in Theodore Roosevelt thru someone some of you might know, Keith Simon.

                Can anyone suggest a good place to start as far as a biography on Roosevelt?

                Keith has mentioned a number of them, but I'm a little confused and don't really have the time to read all 20 of them that he suggested!

                Thanks
                Leslie

                Click here for great quotes from top international movers!