Two (More) Mystery Roosevelts

  • baby_afrika
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009
      Good Evening All,

      I'm currently looking into whatever became of two Roosevelt fellows:

      William Henry Roosevelt (1806-?): All I've been been able to find is that he was Cornelius Van Shaack's brother and that he was graduated from Harvard in about 1827 (and elected to Porcellian). Later on he struck out to Illinois and if the 1850 census is to be believed, married Caroline Burke and had about six children: Michael, James Jacobus, Mary, Caroline, Catherine and Jenny Lind. Michael is no longer listed in the 1860 census leading me to believe he may have died, but after that I can find no record of what became of that branch.

      I am also looking for any (if any) descendants of Robert Barnwell Roosevelt III. I know that he was assumed dead, and is believed to have perished aboard the submarine U.S.S. Harder in 1944, though the wreck was never (to my knowledge) recovered. He was graduated from the Episcopal High School (his father's alma mater) in Virginia and later attended that state's University. He enlisted in the Navy sometime in 1943 and lived briefly in New York City. I haven't any idea as whether or not he married, but is he in any way related to Daniel Sherwood Roosevelt (born 1940) of Charlottesville, Virginia?

      BA