Need source for story of TR playing with children at 4 pm everyday at WH

  • ruby
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2009
      This is John Olsen. I am member of the TRA. My wife is Ruby. Somehow, all my groups got switched to my wife's account.

      I know I have read that TR had a daily ritual while president that at 4 o'clock he would stop whatever he was doing regardless of the importance of the meeting and would go outside and play with his children. Whoever he might be meeting with had the choice of either sitting and waiting for President Roosevelt to return or they could participate with the President and his children in whatever game they were playing.

      Can anyone recall the source of this story? Is it in TR's Letters to His Children or TR's Autobiography? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

      Thanks, John Olsen
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2009
        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "ruby" <DRVOTE@...> wrote:

        > This is John Olsen. I am member of the TRA. My wife is Ruby. Somehow, all my groups got switched to my wife's account.
        >
        > I know I have read that TR had a daily ritual while president that at 4 o'clock he would stop whatever he was doing regardless of the importance of the meeting and would go outside and play with his children. Whoever he might be meeting with had the choice of either sitting and waiting for President Roosevelt to return or they could participate with the President and his children in whatever game they were playing.
        >
        > Can anyone recall the source of this story? Is it in TR's Letters to His Children or TR's Autobiography? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks, John Olsen

        I remember this as well. Perhaps it was in the book about his children? I think it was called The Lion's Pride or something close to that?

        Cheers,
        Mike
      • Harry Lembeck
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2009
          The story is, as I remember, not that it was his practice to do this, but one time at Oyster Bay there was a conference about Cuba.  There was a knock on the door and a small boy came in and said, "Cousin Theodore, you promised to come out and play with us at 4 o'clock and it's after that."  The President said some like, "Quite right, I'll be down in a minute," and the boy left.  The President stood up and said, "Gentlemen, we'll have to continue this later."  One of the men at the meeting, a real bigwig, protested and said the discussion was more important than playing with children.  The President replied, "There is nothing on the world more important than keeping your promise to a little boy."  And he left.

          I can't remember where I read it.  It might have been The Lion's Pride or it might have been Collier and Horowitz's The Roosevelts.  Or some other book.

          Harry Lembeck
          On Mar 23, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Mike wrote:

          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "ruby" <DRVOTE@...> wrote:

          > This is John Olsen. I am member of the TRA. My wife is Ruby. Somehow, all my groups got switched to my wife's account.
          >
          > I know I have read that TR had a daily ritual while president that at 4 o'clock he would stop whatever he was doing regardless of the importance of the meeting and would go outside and play with his children. Whoever he might be meeting with had the choice of either sitting and waiting for President Roosevelt to return or they could participate with the President and his children in whatever game they were playing.
          >
          > Can anyone recall the source of this story? Is it in TR's Letters to His Children or TR's Autobiography? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks, John Olsen

          I remember this as well. Perhaps it was in the book about his children? I think it was called The Lion's Pride or something close to that?

          Cheers,
          Mike

        • Linda Shookster
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2009
            I remember reading that passage in Renehan's "The Lion's Pride."

                              Best, Linda

            Think preachers are having too big a role in the current Presidential election? It's nothing new! See my new posting at:

            http://oldnewyork.blogspot.com

            Laterally dated periodically!

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2009
              It's well documented - check almost any biography.  And not just while in the White House either.  If that's not good enough - it's also verified by John Gable.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2009
                My story about the boy interrupting the meeting about Cuba is in The Roosevelt Family of Sagamore Hill, page 152 of the edition I have.  (I didn't remember it exactly but I got the gist of it.)

                A possible reference to TR regularly playing with children may be in White House Gang by Earl Looker.  I briefly thumbed through it just now and didm not see it, but I easily could have missed it.

                Harry