Herbert Parsons

  • robkennedy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
      I am looking for secondary sources that discuss Herbert Parsons, a
      Republican congressman from Manhattan and friend of President Theodore
      Roosevelt. The on-line congressional biography of Parsons is only one
      paragraph long, and cites no other sources. Neither the "Dictionary of
      American Biography" nor the more recent "American National Biography" have
      entries on Parsons. I have checked a few Roosevelt biographies and Gould's
      book on the Roosevelt presidency, but they contain only passing references
      to Parsons. I'm particularly interested in learning more about the
      political relationship between Parsons and Roosevelt, and am not able to
      take the time to search out primary sources (unless they are available
      on-line).
      Thanks,
      Robert C. Kennedy
      robkennedy@...
    • Mary Beth Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2001
        I found some information online that indicates Columbia University may have
        something on this. It has correspondence apparently. I have not seen his
        name mentioned with Theodore Roosevelt's. Theodore had a friend named
        Frances Parsons, a friend from childhood. Here is what I did online:
        A site of interest to you might be http://politicalgraveyard.com/
        I found this information which you probably already know:

        Parsons, Herbert (1869-1925) of New York, New York County, N.Y. Born in New
        York, 1869. Republican. U.S. Representative from New
        York 13th District, 1905-11; delegate to Republican National
        Convention from New York, 1908, 1916; delegate to New York state
        constitutional
        convention at-large, 1915. Died in 1925. Interment at Lenox Cemetery,
        Lenox, Mass. See also: congressional biography.

        I also found this biographical information you can get to from the above
        political graveyard site which you probably already found yourself:
        http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=P000088
        PARSONS, Herbert, 1869-1925

        PARSONS, Herbert, a Representative from
        New York; born in New York City, October 28, 1869;
        attended private schools in New York City,
        St. Paul’s School, Concord, N.H., Yale University, the
        University of Berlin, Harvard Law School,
        and was graduated from Yale University in 1890; was admitted
        to the bar in 1894 and commenced practice
        in New York City; member of the board of aldermen of New
        York City 1900-1904; elected as a
        Republican to the Fifty-ninth, Sixtieth, and Sixty-first Congresses
        (March 4, 1905-March 3, 1911);
        unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1910 to the Sixty-second
        Congress; resumed the practice of law in
        New York City; delegate to all Republican New York State
        conventions 1904-1920; delegate to the
        Republican National Conventions in 1908, 1912, 1916, and 1920;
        served on the general staff of the
        American Expeditionary Forces during the First World War; died in
        Pittsfield, Mass., September 16, 1925;
        interment in Lenox Cemetery, Lenox, Mass.

        By clicking on Research Collections I got this "Guide to Research
        collections" which might be helpful:

        Guide to Research collections
        PARSONS, Herbert, 1869-1925

        Guide to Research Collections

        Columbia University Libraries
        New York, NY
        Papers: 1898-1925. ca. 14,700 items.
        Correspondence received from well known
        contemporaries, chiefly on political and social matters.

        University of Iowa Libraries
        Iowa City, IA
        Papers: Correspondence in McIlvaine
        family papers, 1862-1931. ca. 325 items.
        Unpublished index in library.
        -------------------------------

        Mary Beth

        On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:13:01 -0400, tr-m@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > I am looking for secondary sources that discuss Herbert Parsons, a
        > Republican congressman from Manhattan and friend of President Theodore
        > Roosevelt. The on-line congressional biography of Parsons is only one
        > paragraph long, and cites no other sources. Neither the "Dictionary of
        > American Biography" nor the more recent "American National Biography"
        have
        > entries on Parsons. I have checked a few Roosevelt biographies and
        Gould's
        > book on the Roosevelt presidency, but they contain only passing
        references
        > to Parsons. I'm particularly interested in learning more about the
        > political relationship between Parsons and Roosevelt, and am not able to
        > take the time to search out primary sources (unless they are available
        > on-line).
        > Thanks,
        > Robert C. Kennedy
        > robkennedy@...