Save the Date: Capital Area Chapter Annual Dinner

  • G Rollins
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2009

      Dear Friends,

      The Capital Area Chapter of the TRA is holding our annual dinner on Saturday, April 18 at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn ( Va. ). Invitations should go out in about a month. Below is the Save the Date notice; invitations should go out in early March. For more information, visit our Web site at www.capitalareatra.org or contact me.

      Kind regards,

      Gena Rollins

      President, Capital Area Chapter

      rollinswrites@...

      301-89-1974

      Smithsonian-Roosevelt East Africa Expedition

      SAVE THE DATE!

      To mark the centennial of Theodore Roosevelt's renowned African Safari, the Capital Area Chapter of the Theodore Roosevelt Association invites you to join us on Saturday, April 18, 2009, for an evening with Dr. Pamela Henson, director of the Smithsonian Institution's Institutional History Division.

      Capital Area Chapter Annual Dinner logoLess than two months after leaving the presidency, TR embarked on an epic 11-month, 2,500 mile safari through British East Afria and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. The trip made headlines worldwide but served a serious purpose. The Smithsonian Institution had commissioned the journey as a scientific expedition, to chronicle the wildlife and habitat of the region and collect specimens that formed the basis of its natural history holdings. A founder of the Boone & Crockett Club, member of the presitigous Explorers Club, and an expert naturalist, TR accepted the charge with enthusiasm. His lyrical and moving accounts of the adventure were serialized in Scribner's Magazine and the best-selling book, African Game Trails, and several of his specimens --displayed for many years in the Smithsonian Natural History Museum--  became widely known as iconic pieces of taxidermy.

      Using archival photos, Dr. Henson will speak in detail about the hunt, putting it in the context of TR's relationship with the Smithsonian, and discussing the legacy of the safari, particularly its impact on the Smithsonian.

      TR and elephantWHEN

      Saturday, April 18, 2009 (cocktail reception and silent auction at 6:30 and dinner at 7:30)

      WHERE

      Holiday Inn Rosslyn in Arlington , Virginia  (free on-site parking as well as easy Metro access via the Rosslyn stop on the Orange Line)

      We will provide further updates and RSVP information as the date of the event approaches. Please plan to join us for what will no doubt be an interesting and enlightening evening!

      www.CapitalAreaTRA.org
       and www.TheodoreRoosevelt.org

      TR and rhino

      I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary, and the grim.

      There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm.

      Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum , 1910

       Theodore Roosevelt Association seal