NY Times Remember's Theodore Roosevelt's Death Jan 6, 1909

  • Keith Simon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009

      NYT Front Page

      On Jan. 6, 1919, the 26th president of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt, died in Oyster Bay, N.Y., at age 60.

      Click here: http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/20090106.html

    • John Willson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2009
        Thanks to Keith Simon for providing access to the New York Times announcement of the death of Theodore Roosevelt in 1919. The feature article mentions that one of his last works was preparing an editorial article for The Kansas City Star.
        The editorial article was entitled "The League of Nations." It was dictated on January 3, three days before his death, and was published on Jan. 13, 1919. According to Ralph Stout, author of  "Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star, " TR was reluctant to throw his support to the proposed League and had commented earlier to one of the Star's staff that he (Roosevelt) felt that  "there is so little that really can be done by any form of treaty to prevent war that it would be disappointing for me to point it out. Any treaty adopted under the influence of war emotions would be like the good resolutions adopted at a mass meeting. We have an anti-vice crusade. Every body is aroused. The movement culminates in a big meeting and we adopt resolutions abolishing vice. But vice isn't abolished that way."
        It is Stout's opinion that TR's editorial " is of peculiar importance because it was the last message of a man who, above every other American of his generation, combined high patriotism, practical sense, and a positive genius for international relations."

        John E. Willson

          You can also find the obit on the TRA website, www.theodoreroosevelt.org.  Follow the biography and click on end of his life link near the bottom.  It will take you to http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/NYTobit.htm

          Rogina