Re: Two Mystery Roosevelts

  • baby_afrika
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23 3:27 PM
      Thank you. That certainly clears things up.

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Linda E. Milano" <lemilano@...> wrote:
      > I have some "close but no cigar" matches for you. Actually, what I
      think you have done is to stumble upon some descendents of Jacob
      Rosevelt, a German immigrant who settled in upstate New York. He and
      his descendents are no relation to the Roosevelt family, who are
      descended from Claes Martenzen van Rosenvelt. However, over the
      generations, some of Jacob's descendents have added the extra "o" so
      it is also spelled Roosevelt, and are themselves confused as to their
      ancestry (some say, quite innocently, I know I'm related, but I don't
      know how). A number of years ago, the Theodore Roosevelt Association
      published a 3 volume genealogy - 2 volumes of Roosevelts, and one
      volume of Rosevelts. I do need to go to the TRA office about copies
      of that genealogy, and will check the Rosevelts for you.
      > On the other hand - there was a George Washington Roosevelt (a fifth
      cousin once removed from TR), who fought in the Civil War. He was
      actually the first Roosevelt awarded the Medal of Honor, for his
      actions at Gettysburg (where, by the way, TR's mother Mittie lost a
      cousin). He was the son of Soloman Roosevelt and his wife Elizabeth
      Morris. Born September 15, 1844 in New York, Sussex County, Delaware.
      He married Mary Elizabeth Perry there on July 25, 1865 (she was born
      November 26, 1848 and died August 16, 1897). He was appointed to a
      diplomatic post in Belgium and died in Brussels on May 16, 1907. They
      had two children: George Albert Roosevelt (August 22, 1870 -
      September 11, 1887) and Hannah Elizabeth Roosevelt (December 6, 1866 -
      July 17, 1869).
      > Claude M. Roosevelt (October 31, 1888, Coloma, Missouri - March
      1964, Arkansas), son of Charles Henry Roosevelt and his wife Elwysey
      A. Rockhold (also spelled Eloise or Eliza) married Myrtle May Dye (May
      16, 1889 - May 29, 1926) on September 4, 1912 in Chillicothe,
      Missouri. They had one child, Emma Lee Roosevelt, born September 29,
      1913 in Vernon, Oklahoma, who married James Smyth Blaine July 15, 1950
      in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Claude was a fifth cousin twice removed of
      Theodore Roosevelt.